Recomendation on Tackle - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Medically Retired Army
Trigger

Default Recomendation on Tackle

Ladies and Gents!

So since I have now decided to commit myself to this sport during all of my available free time, I figured that the current Walmart/fishing pier specials that represent my rods and reels that I have been using over the years need to be badly replaced and don't want to make the same mistake that I have made before and that being cheap at the onset. So I am looking for GOOD SOLID ROD/REEL combos but I don't want them to break the bank seeing as I am trying to buy a Kayak SOON as well. Thanks for any and all input!

Chris
SOCMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Snapper

offshore or inshore? target species? conventional or spinning?
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

price range?
Hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Sailfish

Since you don't know for sure what kind of quality you're looking for I highly recommend you buy used. There are A LOT of mid to high grade rods and reels for sale in the classified of this and other forums as well as craigslist.

If you buy new right now and then decide to sell it and upgrade again in a year or 2, you'll lose around 50% of the money you put in. However, if you buy used and decide to upgrade later you can get 75% or maybe even more of your money back as long as it's in good shape.

Good luck!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Grouper

And since it's almost hunting season, the prices will be dropping on used gear as well as yaks
Bravo87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Medically Retired Army
Trigger

I have been doing inshore, King Mackerel fishing, I have been using spinning rods and reels, and I think I would like to keep using that kind of equipment. Now whatever I buy Id like to be able to use for kings, Spanish, and even mahi or black fin.....Id like a all around rod/reel combo when fishing from a kayak. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Medically Retired Army
Trigger

oh and in the 150-200 per rod/reel combo....id like to find two similar set ups and I have no issue buying used, I am all for that.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

For trolling you CANT BEAT what Ive been using my self and for my clients for the price...

Reel: Shimano Speedmaster. This reel holds 500 yards of 20lb mono, has a highspeed 6:1 gear ratio and good drag.

Rod: Ugly stick Big Water Custom Live bait rod model USCB 1170M. This 7' live bait rod has a soft tip which is good for pulling live baits but plenty of back bone and its cheap too.

You can pick up this combo for about $200. Last time I was in a West Marine they had a Speedmaster with a 7' live bait type rod for about $180. I think they call it their blacktip combos but I couldnt find it on their website but this would be good too Im sure.

For bottom fishing I like to use the Penn 6500 jigging combos that run about $180. The reels alone are about $160 so youre getting a decent rod for $20.

I also always like to have a pitch rod at the ready with a circle hook or a jig tied on. Penns 5500 SSV combo works well. I use the 5500 SSVs for this too for me and my clients but bought them before the combos came out. However with the combo, here again youre getting a rod for $20.

So for less then $600 youll have three combos to cover every aspect offshore kayak fishing that are quality rods and reels and have the ability to handle ANYTHING youre going to run into out there all with out breaking the wallet!
oxbeast1210 likes this.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
Medically Retired Army
Trigger

Thank you so much for the insight! That's exactly what I wanted to know! I have been kinda half a$$ing it for the last few months that I was fishing before going off to Africa and now I really want to take advantage of the situation before the wife and I leave for Japan next fall. Id rather invest some good money up front and have quality gear than buy cheap and be upset over the outcome. Now if I can just find a good peddle kayak for under 2 grand hahahaha id be a happy camper. Although it looks like I may just buy a paddle one with ALL the bells and whistles and deal with it.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Snapper

well it sounds like you're more interested in trolling than bottom fishing so i would go with a tld 20 if you want a conventional or a fierce/battle 7000 for spinning.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in