Pier to Pier trip. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
The Tourist
Sailfish

Default Pier to Pier trip.

ok here's the official thread.

Saturday August 31st, Pensacola pier to Navarre Pier kayak trip.

what i would recommend bringing.
two trolling rods. one with a deep diver and one with a duster rig or just trebles to troll a blue runner/cig.

one rod on stand by to toss a jig or lure to busting bobo or jacks or anything else we might come by. small white or pink pompano jigs work well for this.

one bait rod. you might find some structure and having a rod on stand by to hook up a bait and drop down will come in handy and cut time on working that spot.

bait tanks. not sure if im bringing mine, but it will come in handy for live blue runners and cigs. dead baits work too but blue runners like to spin sometimes.

Food! bring enough food to last the day! i can tell you there is nothing like a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a nice sweet tea to wash it down mid day on the yak. bring atleast a gallon of water and a gatorade to replenish electrolites.

Ice/coolers. we'll probably get into some kings early and you'll want to keep them cold. i have a game bag and frozen water bottles/ice packs to load mine and maybe a couple others. if you can fit a cooler or have a bag i'd bring it.

I plan on being at Pensacola pier at 3am. unload and be in the car by 3:30am (after meeting people and designating a gear watch). park at Navarre pier by 4:15 and back at Pensacola by 5am. Launch on or before 5:30am and make bait at the end of the pier as the sun comes up. we should make it to Navarre by 2pm. I troll pretty slow, a paddler can pass me up and not break a sweat.

there are areas to stop as well. about mid way there is the old ranger station. you can see it from the water because of all the building. easy landing and it has restrooms/picnic tables. another stop is portefino. there is a flag pole with speakers on it and you can see it from several hundred yards out. there is a restroom there.

Attendance:

myself (lowprofile)
sharkeater
Ugly1
Sea Rover
Scarfus
Disco
spinner
Foreverfishing.

Last edited by lowprofile; 08-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
The Tourist
Sailfish

Also, if anyone gets some jack crevalle and does not want them, i'll take them all!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
On a boat
Grouper

Hopefully YellowRiverMuder will be making it.

I'm stoked guys
Sea Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Trigger

Do you eat them low?
jbs_bama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
The Tourist
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs_bama View Post
Do you eat them low?
no, they are one of the better shark baits. i hardly eat anything really. Cobia, snapper, blacktip and grouper is all i've kept to eat.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Terrible Fisherman
Trigger

I am seriously thinking about doing this but I just dont think im gear ready yet. I just bought two king rigs and really dont even know how to properly use them lol. Im sure I will regret missing this chance at what sounds like a really fun trip. I would hate to get out there and be a burden to others asking a million questions and how to's ha ha. Just boating fish is a challenging to me.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Grouper

id love to do it but idk if my yak is up to it. the website i use to check the swell doesn't show anything for Saturday so im guessing that means its gonna be flat in which case would work for me. put me on a list for maybe and il let yall know by Thursday night. i wont be keeping many fish though if im able to go(weight limit on the yak wont allow)
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
On a boat
Grouper

Disco come on with us. I will hang back with you if you slow down, I know YRM will too.
Sea Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Grouper

All of you thinking about staying home because you don't have a peddle yak MTFU (Man The F... U.) J/K!! This is a fun trip not a race. I was going to rent a peddle boat but now Im going to take the Blue Bullet just for fun!!!! If my damn near 50 year old carcuss can do it so can you. We always watch out for each other and this trip will be no different, don't worry about being left behind or lost at sea! Get your gear ready and lets go on a trip you will never forget! And LP I still have your PFD in the back of my truck. UGLY
Ugly 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
Terrible Fisherman
Trigger

My concern is not having a paddle yak, I love my paddle yak ive used a buddies peddle yak and wasnt comfortable with my feet up. My concern is being out there for all that time having no experience in big water or fishing for big game. I fish inshore for trout and reds with super light tackle. This will be the polar opposite of what im accustomed to. I just bought my first big spinning reels last weekend and trolled the bay. So I have very little gear and dont really know where to start. I figure ill show up with a bag of frozen cigs, a few pre-made king rigs and if i can find them some rapala x-raps.

2 big spinning reels
Frozen cigs
rapalas
pre made king rigs
2 small spinning reels rigged for trout lol
food/water
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in