Pedal vs Paddle for gulf fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes
Unread 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Pedal vs Paddle for gulf fishing

I had a Tarpon 140 about 15 years ago before kayak fishing really blew up that I would use to fish the sound and bay. Sold it years ago but lately have been thinking about getting another kayak to mess around with. I know I'll end up in the gulf bottom fishing so my question is is it worth the extra money for a pedal drive?

I honestly don't know how into it I'll get so dropping $2-3k on a Hobie is out of the question. There seem to be some decent deals on used jacksons and natives that come up from time to time, and now there's the pelican that looks interesting. Any input is appreciated.

Also, how crucial would you say a rudder is on a paddle kayak?
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Snapper

You definitely want a pedal for bottom fishing. You can turn your nose into the current, drop on your spot and hold position while you fish. I have used both and for bottom fishing there is no comparison.
Fisherdad1
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Mingo

I like paddle for trolling as I can change up the speed randomly and i think the pulsing of the paddling makes my dusters work a little different than a pedal would.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Shrimp300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
Snapper

Pedal drive 110% worth every penny if you're gonna yak the gulf. Makes life so much easier,l. Hands free so you can mess with your fish finder or rods at the same time as moving to your fishing spot. Can leisurely pedal along around 3 mph almost effortless. Hobies are better in my opinion because if you have a king on and he tries to swim under your yak, you just hit your pedals to make them lay flat against the hull so the line doesnt get caught around the drive like with the native propeller.

A rudder system is a must also to keep you on course much easier than using a paddle to steer, it's as easy as taking 2 fingers to turn a knob...can be fighting a fish with the rod in 1 hand and turn your rudder to point your bow with the other.

I would say a pedal drive and rudder is the ipilot of the kayak world.
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Trigger

If you like to fish - pedal. If you have tried both you probably wouldn't be asking. Huge difference having hands free to fish.
choppinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
White Marlin

Thanks for the input guys. Never tried a pedal kayak before but I kind of figured that would be the better route. Guess I'm about to spend more money than I was planning
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkovich View Post
I had a Tarpon 140 about 15 years ago before kayak fishing really blew up that I would use to fish the sound and bay. Sold it years ago but lately have been thinking about getting another kayak to mess around with. I know I'll end up in the gulf bottom fishing so my question is is it worth the extra money for a pedal drive?

I honestly don't know how into it I'll get so dropping $2-3k on a Hobie is out of the question. There seem to be some decent deals on used jacksons and natives that come up from time to time, and now there's the pelican that looks interesting. Any input is appreciated.

Also, how crucial would you say a rudder is on a paddle kayak?
To preface this, I've never used a kayak with either pedals or a rudder. That said, I have fished with a paddle kayak, and I can't imagine anything better than a pedal kayak for kayak fishing.
perdidochas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkovich View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Never tried a pedal kayak before but I kind of figured that would be the better route. Guess I'm about to spend more money than I was planning
Like everybody said, go with the pedal.

I use to buy/sell Hobies. They hold their value pretty well so resale is pretty firm. If you shop hard, you can get one and use for a year or two and sell it for the same money. Most folks add all sorts of unnecessary expensive crap to them and it's hard to recoup that money.
Walton County is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Link,

It's not even a consideration, peddle is the only way to go.
If you want to talk in detail, shoot me a pm.

You can pick up a good 3-4 year old Outback for under $1500
Unread 05-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I do agree with everyone on pedal over paddle. But I don’t understand everyone’s cult like following of Hobie. Too over priced and no instant reverse was a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in