Okaloosa island bay fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Okaloosa island bay fishing

I will be staying on Okaloosa Island in September and would like to kayak fish the bay. I am not familiar with the area and need some info. Does any one know of a good place to launch? And, where are a couple of good tackle shops? I will be primarily fishing for reds and trout. Any help would be appreciated.
midtennyaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Snapper

There is a half hitch tackle in destin and Navarre, on each side of where you will be. You can put in on the west side of the bridge in destin, go north (under the bridge) then immediately head west and there is a coast guard station with a breakwall that is a popular spot plus lots of flats around there. I think you can also put in at marinas by the bridge between okaloosa island and fort walton. And you can put in to the bay from Gulf National Seashore Drive, which is on Okaloosa Island, but is has restricted hours (i.e. doesnt' open at dawn for fishermen). The people at half hitch can help you out with launches and tackle. For reds and trout you only need a few things. If you go with live bait, you can put it under a popping cork for the most productive fishing. For artificials, have a topwater, a twitchbait (mirrolure), a dark soft plastic and a light soft plastic paddle tail (or DOA/other shrimp imitation) type bait on a jig head. Gulp and other scented baits work well. I like to use 20 lb flouro leader on line in the 8-15 lb range.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Grouper

google Destin area boat launches, there is a map with info on each one that is pretty good and up to date. Has a dozen or more within easy driving range of where you will be staying. there is also a public park in downtown FWB, you can launch there and fish the ICW for several miles around the north side docks, condos, etc (south side is the main channel, lots of boats flying by you). I have seen many folks pull reds and specs out from the docks. Main thing this time of year is fish early, the heat will drive the fish into deep holes by 9-10am.
sel1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Pats Bait shop is off the north side of Brooks Bridge on the Fort Walton side. There are launches at Marler Park & National Seashore, seashore ramp doesn't open till 8 I think.
yak_n_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in