Newbie with a kayak needs some pointers... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Newbie with a kayak needs some pointers...

Hello all. Just picked up a PA 14 and looking to tag along with some others to try my hand at this stuff. Haven't fished saltwater since I was a kid back in the early 80s. Currently have a spinner and baitcaster rigged with lures as not sure what is best or used most often from kayaks. Anywho, just looking to tag along with some others preferably in the Perdido area until I get the feel for this. Surrounded by water and I typically sail but want to try my hand at fishing as well. Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Bigkidneys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Grouper

Wow, 85 views but no responses... I don't have leprosy gentlemen, just new to saltwater fishing
Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Snapper

Since I too have been subject to the "leprosy syndrome" I jump in. No expert by any means but been kayak fishing the flats for a few years,

I use Ugly Stick Inshore Select rods (medium and medium light) and Penn battle reels spooled with 20 or 30 pound braind and then a 3-4 foot 20# flourocarbon leader. For lures start with a couple of gold spoons and either a Gulp Shrimp or DOA popping cork set-up. Then maybe a Mirrolure or Rapala topwater plug or 2. Look for grass beds and just cast away.

I don't kayak the gulf but the most success I have seen is trolling cigar minnows on a duster king rig with a stinger hook. You'll want a heavier rod/reel combo like the peen slammers and 5,6 ot 750 reels. Bottom fishing we use a 2 hook botom rig and cut bait. squid or if available live bait.

Hope this is helpful...

P_

Don't forget about freshwater fishing, I have a blast kayaking the small lakes and ponds in the area...
prgault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

I like to use gulp jerk shad and gulp shrimp color depends on the water .
I mostly fish milton/pace and have not been able to get out as much lately but
if your ever in this area hit me up
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Grouper

Appreciate the response guys. Must not be too far off the mark as my one spinner is a Penn Siverado SV5000 that I bought 2.5 years ago with 20lb braid. My other setup is an Ambassador Silver Max baitcaster with an Ambassador Vendetta rod with 20lb baid as well but think I will change it out as I can't really get it out that far with the heavier line. Used some spoons today as well as a DOA shrimp in the grass beds outside the canoe ramp at Johnson Beach and the Oyster Bar. Is it a good idea to install an anchor trolley and anchor system? Was a biotch drifting constantly into the channel. On the fence for my next add on. Fish finder or anchor system? Or both Think I am gonna buy another spinner tomorrow as I grew tired pretty quickly of the backlashes on the baitcaster today. I know, practice, practice, practice...

Last edited by Bigkidneys; 05-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Grouper

Oxbeast, where do you fish in that area? My girls live in Pace so I get over there quite a bit.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Formerly Hank Hill
Grouper

Bigkidneys, I'm kind of in Milton too, but, wouldn't mind trying Predido, or if you want to come to Milton area, give me a hollar. I'm usualy ready to fish.

Last edited by 16983; 05-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
16983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

jims fish camp area, upper blackwater bay, and archie glover . if you fosh mostly shallow waters a stake out pole is nice . Anchor trolly is a good idea

Sent from samsung Galaxy note using Forum Runner
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in