New PA or New Outback - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree14Likes

Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default New PA or New Outback

I'm looking for some opinions from anybody that has made the switch from the PA to the Outback, or vice versa. More specifically, anybody that has moved to the 2015 Outback with the new seat.

I had an old school PA that I loved, but my fishing partner and myself both had newborns last year which led to the sell of both our PAs. We mostly fished inshore, and only got off the beach a few times. There were 2 reasons we shyed away from the beach: 1. The damn things are heavy 2. We were only granted about 5 hours to get out of the house without the kids, and draggin those damn things across the sand was not worth it for at most 2 hours of fishing.

Well, said kids are older and much easier to handle than last year. So, we have been given our "jewels" back, and we want to get back to fishing. At first, we were both set on the new PAs, because that is what we are used to, and why "downgrade" to anything else.

A few different factors are weighing in on our decisions on which would be the practical purchase.
1. We plan to make a trip to the keys for some get away time, and plan to take the yaks with us. Hauling 2 Outbacks instead of 2 PAs would obviously be easier.

2. We both have campers, and want to bring the yaks with us when camping as we mainly head to the beach. Putting the PA on a rack over the cab doesn't sound like much fun.

3. We want to get offshore more often than we used to, but the PAs have not got any lighter, and we haven't got any stronger.

So, basically, it's a logistics compromise. Before the Outback seat was upgraded, this was not even considered, but I believe the new Vantage CT seat will be comfortable enough for us to sit in all day. Should we give up the room of the PA for easier transport, or will we really miss what we had once we get on the water?

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I'm sure this topic has been covered, but most comparisons were not for the new Outback, and while a few guys said they don't miss the PA as much as they thought they would, they didn't really mention what they actually did miss about the PA.

Last edited by Bencatch; 03-01-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Bencatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Sailfish

Following, want to see some opinions.

I have been doing a LOT of research and the more I see the more I lean towards the Outback.
Bencatch likes this.

Last edited by BigRed38; 03-01-2015 at 09:04 PM.
BigRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Trigger

My personal preference would be the outback just because I cartop my kayak and I like to just grab and go. Im 5'8 155lbs and have no problems standing in any kayak. So space/stability isn't a concern for me. I guess it just depends on the person.
spencer618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Consider this. You can let the kids go with you if you get the PA's...
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Mingo

I switched from the Outback to the PA due to the comfort while offshore. After experiencing both in several conditions, the PA hands down just gives you so much flexibility while on the water. When I was in the Outback for 5+ Hours, I felt it. I have been 8+ on the PA and never cried until I got back to shore realizing I had to get it to my truck lol.

I do agree about getting it to the water is a hassle, but imo it is the only disadvantage. Beach wheels cure most of the pain, but it still sucks.

Like the previous post, the kids can ride along with you when the time is right.

PS: Im 5'9 188lbs.
Schizknit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Trigger

I have a PA and I built a rear facing seat on top of my milk crate so my 7 year old can go trolling with me. Works great in the pond behind my house. We'll see how it works in the gulf in a couple months.
EricVF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Grouper

For me ... the stability of the PA definitely was the difference. Out in the GOM a flipped kayak is no fun... ask me how I know lol
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
Consider this. You can let the kids go with you if you get the PA's...
This was one thing that help me sell it to the wife. "But babe, it's family friendly". My real goal is to talk the wife into getting an outback, and I can just take it when I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizknit View Post
I switched from the Outback to the PA due to the comfort while offshore. After experiencing both in several conditions, the PA hands down just gives you so much flexibility while on the water. When I was in the Outback for 5+ Hours, I felt it. I have been 8+ on the PA and never cried until I got back to shore realizing I had to get it to my truck lol.

I do agree about getting it to the water is a hassle, but imo it is the only disadvantage. Beach wheels cure most of the pain, but it still sucks.
This is the response I keep going back to in my head. Sure, the Outback will be easier to drag to the beach, but once I'm out there, will I still be a little uncomfortable? With the PA, I know getting it to the water is miserable, but I'll be comfortable for the rest of the day.

So, even if it takes me an extravagant 30 miserable minutes to get to the water, for the next 6-8 hours I'll be comfortable. With the Outback, say it takes only 15 not so bad minutes to get to the water, will I still be a little uncomfortable for the next 6-8 hours.

Sounds like 30 minutes of misery for 8 hours of comfortable fun, and then another 30 minutes of misery. Or, maybe, 15 minutes of being uncomfortable for 8 hours of uncomfortable fun, and another 15 minutes of being uncomfortable?
Bencatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Trigger

If I had the means to transport a PA, I'd probably have a PA over my outback. That being said, I can take the outback off my car top solo and can carry it on my back if I have to. It's a little faster than the PA too.
GAjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

You can put a small beach chair in the back of an outback as well. I've done it several times with my 9 year old. Returning to shore in an outback with big surf is a little easier as well. I haven't lost it yet and I've returned in 3" seas a few times. I know it will happen eventually, though. If your on a budget you can just about fully fit your outback for offshore for the price of a PA.
BigRed38 likes this.
Lost_NWerner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in