New To Kayaking Sit in, Sit on? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default New To Kayaking Sit in, Sit on?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some help. This website is awesome and it has me thinking of getting a kayak for fishing. I'm in my 50's (200 lbs), not in prime shape, not looking to go big as I will transport in a small pickup (perhaps 12 ft kayak would be best). I'll probably do most of my fishing in the bay. As I look at kayaks between $500 - $900 there are lots of choices. No sense in spending big Hobie peddle bucks in case this doesn't work out ... (perhaps later). The confusion I have is almost everything I see is sit on kayaks. I've been searching gander mountain and other websites for fishing kayak possibilities and I also see lots of sit in fishing kayaks. The confusion is I don't see anybody talking about using a sit in kayak for angling in the forums. The trend appears to be sit on. Are sit ins phasing out? Are they a pain because they need bailing? Perhaps I'm wrong and there are a bunch of sit in kayak anglers here on the coast? Any thoughts.
clynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
White Marlin

Sit on for sure. And you don't want big hobie bucks, you want big native bucks
Bo Keifus likes this.
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Trigger

I did a lot of research a few hours last night looking for a kayak for about $500 for my gf to fish with me , the results I found was ocean kayak (which I have a love) then perception then the heritage. I've got a few feelers out for some ocean kayaks but if they don't work out I'm getting the perception and I'll let you know how it compares. Don't get an ascend in this area it's to hot and warps.
New2ThaSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2ThaSport View Post
I did a lot of research a few hours last night looking for a kayak for about $500 for my gf to fish with me , the results I found was ocean kayak (which I have a love) then perception then the heritage. I've got a few feelers out for some ocean kayaks but if they don't work out I'm getting the perception and I'll let you know how it compares. Don't get an ascend in this area it's to hot and warps.
I have a pompano 120 and it's great. Same as a perception as far as I can tell. I just use mine for running bait. Trolled once and was fine.

I got mine for $400 with paddle and seat
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynch View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some help. This website is awesome and it has me thinking of getting a kayak for fishing. I'm in my 50's (200 lbs), not in prime shape, not looking to go big as I will transport in a small pickup (perhaps 12 ft kayak would be best). I'll probably do most of my fishing in the bay. As I look at kayaks between $500 - $900 there are lots of choices. No sense in spending big Hobie peddle bucks in case this doesn't work out ... (perhaps later). The confusion I have is almost everything I see is sit on kayaks. I've been searching gander mountain and other websites for fishing kayak possibilities and I also see lots of sit in fishing kayaks. The confusion is I don't see anybody talking about using a sit in kayak for angling in the forums. The trend appears to be sit on. Are sit ins phasing out? Are they a pain because they need bailing? Perhaps I'm wrong and there are a bunch of sit in kayak anglers here on the coast? Any thoughts.
There is nothing wrong with a 'sit-in' if you are fishing ponds, small lakes, rivers and bayous or protected water. Alaskan natives have been using sit-ins in the oceans forever. Whitewater safety riders use sit-ins. Problem here is that the season is during the hot part of the year. If you expect any rough water condition with a sit-in, you need a splash skirt. These skirts sometimes come with jackets that have the skirt integral to the jacket. All this is just too hot for our area, in summer. Unless you are fishing mostly at night or in the cooler months. If you use one for duck hunting, you don't want to get wet so, a sit-in with a skirt is the ticket.

Around here, sit on tops rule. Rough water without a skirt will just fill up a sit-in faster than you can bail. I've used them in the past but built and outrigger system for it and picked my locations and weather days. It's a personal choice but most people will go for the self baling, sit on tops, around here.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks , Great input. I didn't think about the heat in our area. I too like the native. I'm looking at entry level ocean or perception. I'll check into heritage and pompano. I'm very interested in what new2thasport gets. On my short list is ocean scrambler or one of the perceptions. I can rig for fishing leisurely.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Trigger

So got the girlfriends kayak the perception 12 , it's a good kayak I do prefer my prowler over it but only because the ocean kayak isn't as flat on the bottom so it doesn't rock so much. However the perception has good speed good tracking and good comfortability. Definitely better than my molded foot braces in my prowler lol. All in all I got the perception paddle and pfd for $360 I'm happy and will be taking it out on the gulf for a trial run within the next few weeks after I get some more rod holder (it only has 1 built in rod holder)
New2ThaSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
Grouper

I have a perception pescador 12 and it is an awesome fishing kayak. Does everything I need it to and comfy. Good luck shopping!
Bravo87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Sit ons are just better in so many ways. As a 50 year old, you should consider how much easier they are to get in and out of. Sit ins can be a pain in that regard. Then there's the obvious stuff like safety. The sit ons will not sink if you flip, for whatever reason. Ultimately, you'll catch plenty of fish with either style (I've had both). If you're planning on fishing protected waters, it really doesn't matter. That said...I can think of only one benefit of using a sit in. Sun protection for your legs (which is canceled out by the heat inside lol).
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Thank you Mr. Yakavelli. SOT it is! My company store has huge discounts on Ocean scrambler 11 or Ocean tetra 12 angler. I want a light kayak I can manage for easy loading into my pick up, and fishing Pensacola bay. I was going to get the scrambler and rig it for fishing. The more I look, the tetra appears to be a better choice. It is a bit bigger and heavier, comes mostly rigged, but its still small and light enough to be a good first kayak. I have a tendency to over think and over do things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in