new to kayak fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lobsterman

Old 12-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Thumbs up new to kayak fishing

hey everyone. i am just typing up my first post introducing myself on the forum. been fishing my whole life but just started taking it a lot more seriously back in august in when i traded for my kayak.

had some good days but i am still learning a lot. trying to learn all i can to make all this time/effort/money more successful. i also do just as much inshore/surf fishing as kayaking, if not more.

haven't lived here very long so still learning the fishing patterns/techniques.

anyways hope you're all having a good holiday season and look forward to what i'll learn here from the locals
blackdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

So what kayak do you have , and have you been catching any fish?
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Hey Blackdrum....welcome to this awesome sport. You might want to check out my related website (http://fishingkayaks.us).
Packeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
So what kayak do you have , and have you been catching any fish?
Hey there I have a Perception Pescador Pro 120. As far as my fishing luck goes, I've really only had a few good days since I started fishing consistently around August. My one and only black drum was enormous but that was caught inshore, and I may never top that fishing story either. Few good fish fry days with trout and whiting. Other than that I've just been catching a ton of pinfish and lizardfish. I have tried multiple times to land sheephead but zero luck!

Look forward to the spring/summer and getting to try out some ocean fishing for some kings!
blackdrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default new to kayak fishing

There are tons of fish to catch now. You won’t have to wait for winter to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Last edited by lobsterman; 01-06-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Snapper

It took me quite a while to start catching fish in my kayak too. The fastest way up that learning curve is to hire a guide to show you the basics (I was too cheap to do this). Here is the low hanging fruit that I learned:
Timing: For me to catch fish, I had to become aware of the tides. The fish go into feeding mode when the water is moving (ie the tide is going in or out). I use www.tides4fishing.com. Tide times are location specific, usually at the local pass, so there will be a delay in tides deeper into the bay systems. In summer you have to fish very early for the trout bite.
For bait, nothing works like live shrimp under a popping cork. If you want to go artificial, berkley Gulp or other scented baits are great. Many old salty fishermen roll their eyes at popping corks and live bait and call them "tourist rigs", but they produce fish and are great ways to learn where fish are in a new area. In winter deeper baits may be needed. I would just get some soft plastics and jig heads to bump along the bottom looking for deep spots that hold fish.
Where to fish: This time of year, focus on dropoffs and deeper channels. Trout also hold up in the mouths of creeks, where they meet the bay. When its warmer the fish will move onto flats. Always be scanning for signs of fish like birds diving, surface ripples, bait jumping (but mullet sometimes jump when there are no predators around except you). Use google earth to ID points, dropoffs, channels etc. When you are searching for fish, fan cast in a bunch of directions. If you get a strike, focus on that area, and that depth in general.
I suspect that 90% fish our lures too fast during winter. Its hard to slow down, but people who catch fish say the super slow presentation works.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdrum View Post
Hey there I have a Perception Pescador Pro 120. As far as my fishing luck goes, I've really only had a few good days since I started fishing consistently around August. My one and only black drum was enormous but that was caught inshore, and I may never top that fishing story either. Few good fish fry days with trout and whiting. Other than that I've just been catching a ton of pinfish and lizardfish. I have tried multiple times to land sheephead but zero luck!

Look forward to the spring/summer and getting to try out some ocean fishing for some kings!

Where are you trying to fish. Not exact spot but area. Like Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Navarre and silver on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eddyfisher likes this.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Great post Salt Lines. Thanks for the help... I'm also new to the salt and kayak fishing and this forum and fishing out of the Milton/Pace area. If anyone would like to chime in with more advice on the area or join me on a hunt for trout and reds around here that would be great. Wife is out of town and except for an occasional round of golf on the windier days, I'm free to fish.
eddyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packeryaker View Post
Hey Blackdrum....welcome to this awesome sport. You might want to check out my related website (http://fishingkayaks.us).

Doesn't seem very relevant to our area? Though I do like fishing down that way.
Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
Doesn't seem very relevant to our area? Though I do like fishing down that way.
He only has one post. He's probably a bot pimping out a website for more clicks and whatnot.

Welcome to the area. I'm not a yakker but there are a lot of folks here who are. Check out https://navarrekayakfishing.com/ if you want to consider shortening your learning curve. I have not fished with Nick (yet) but he has a top-notch reputation in the sport.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in