New Guy looking for info - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JD7.62

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New Guy looking for info

I recently purchased a kayak and have been doing some freshwater fishing. Next year id like to get BTB in the pc,Navarre area. I was wondering what size reels and rods does everyone recommend for just normal fishing. I had been looking and like the penn battle II Reels but am open to suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Akroedge540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

For what? There are all kinds of things to target offshore requiring different rods and reels for each application. For myself on a day that I want to "do it all" I will have two trolling combos, one dedicated bait rod, one bottom rod, one pitch rod and one rod for fly lining a bait or pitching a live bait. Each rod and reel is selected for the task at hand. Heck I now use different combos for dropping for snapper vs dropping for grouper.

Avoid "do it all" combos at all cost. At the very least get one dedicated trolling combo, one dedicated pitch rod (can also be used for bait) and one dedicated bottom rod.
ThaFish and SOCMedic like this.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Looking for mainly king,spanish,snapper, and grouper. Im very new at this so any direction you can give to better educate myself would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Anything that will hold at least 250 yards preferably 300+ of 20lb mono on a 7ft rod is good for trolling. Anything that will sustain 15+ pounds of drag will get you started bottom fishing.

I like a spinning combo with a 7.5-8ft rod loaded with 40lb braid for throwing lures at things lie cobia, dolphin and tuna and something with a 7ft rod for fly lining or throwing live baits, also with 40lb braid.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
White Marlin

I dont break it down quite as far as JD7.62. I usually carry 3 rods on my yak. But it depends on what I am doing.

I dont usually troll, but when I do, I carry a 40 sized conventional reel on an 8ft soft tipped rod. The soft tip helps keep live or dead bait from getting beat up so bad from the trolling.

For a bottom rod, I usually carry 1 or 2 combos. It will consist of a 50 (or 60) sized spinning reel on a 7ft fast action rod. I just prefer a fast action rod. Use what ever action you are comfortable with. I'll use this same rod setup for large reds or small sharks as well. I just swap out the rig /leader to fit my purpose.

If I am casting for trout, small reds, flounder, pompano, whiting, or lady fish (yes, I enjoy catching them) I use a 35-40 sized spinning reel on an extra fast action 6-6.6ft rod. I use this size for trolling spanish as well.

If I plan to bottom fish, I will carry 2 of the 50 combos and a single 35-40 combo for casting or bait. If I am trolling, I will carry one of each. If I am light casting, I will carry 2 light combos and one 50 series in case I run up into something that needs something bigger. You never know when you are going to run into a Tarpon, or a sail, or a decent shark.

Of course, all of this is going to depend on where you are going to fish. I dont fish the Pensacola area. Pensacola has some deep water pretty close to shore, so the deeper water species are more likely to be encountered closer to shore. Where I fish you have to get about 8-9 miles out to get into 60ft of water. Too long of a paddle for my old bones. haha

My personal advise is to not over think it (like I always do, haha), keep it simple, and enjoy yourself.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I really appreciate your response. Seems like im headed in the right direction with choosing sizes. Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Trigger

Default Troll set up first

You have Got some good advice here, but I just started this two years ago and started with a 35 dollar very used Daiwa Sealine I got off Ebay, its a conventional star drag type reel. I tore it apart and learned how to service it then and that is important in my opinion. Will hold a lot of line but whats nice is it's not a huge reel. Very smooth drag system, its simple and is sort of old school looking. Put it on a 7 ft 6in Med light rod, its excellant for trolling because that rod gives when the strike occurs and in my opinon thats what you want for a trolling rod and especially on foul hooked fish from using a stinger rig. If you look at the design of these reels some are much better to use in saltwater than others like the mentioned reel because the gears, drag etc.. are separated from the spool by the frame and the clicker side as well so if serviced right its much harder for water to get into it. I have other so called much newer and improved reels that are not designed like that and don't take a dunking near as well. Look at a schematic of the Shimano Speedmaster it's built very similiar to mine and it's a great trolling reel but a little to large for my liking, great reel for a boat. Here's the point, you don't need 5 rod and reels to begin with. I would suggest getting one for trolling first because thats probably what you can start doing the easiest and will be a lot of fun for you. As you build up more bottom spots to fish then you will want to for sure get something for that and I suggest a jigging rod like a Shimano Trevala 66mh, very stout, very light you can hold it all day and use it for jigging eventually or bottom fishing with a light conventional reel like an Avet SX you are in buisness) Learn to work on and service your own reels because Salwater fishing and especially launching through surf is hard on reels. Make sure your reels even if bought new are serviced right before you fish them. Sounds crazy but trust me you will be happy you did later. Good luck to you!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Guy looking for info-image-1-jpg  
Ptpainton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the great advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in