need advice.... stiff lower back - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default need advice.... stiff lower back

I have thought of buying a yak and with a kinda bad back was wondering if any of you have a similar problem that itdoesn't seem to bother you in a yak for periods of time....I mean sitting for periods of time seems to bother my lowerback(it gets stiff till I move around a bit)...standing on the Panama city pier this past fall watching the yak's out in the gulf looked cool as heck and very appealing....thanks in advance for any help...

maybe I'm just getting to old for such thoughts and activities...well at least activities:banghead

Bill
..........................................semi-RETIRED......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: need advice.... stiff lower back

The movement required to paddle or pedal and catching fish keeps a kayak anglerfrom being sedantary like sitting in front of a computer. A good seat also helps. Not that I take my own advice but doing stretching exercises before and after can help. From my days working in Physical Therapy I observed that the William's Felxsion exercise can make a big difference.

http://images.google.com/images?rls=...ed=0CCIQsAQwAw
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Snapper

if you get a comfy seat you should be fine. I had a bad jet ski accident a few years back that fractured my pelvic bone and spiral fractured my femur as well as tweaking my lower back. Standing bothers my back as well, but sitting in the yak is very comfortable . when you paddle, you will be stretching your lower back. Come on and join the yakkers.

www.pensacolakayakcharters.com
BloodyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Grouper

Bill, while paddling or pedaling a kayak will provide you plenty of exercise and may help to keep your back loose, I still get sore from sitting down in the yak after several hours. I find that if I can beach the yak or get out in shallow water and walk around for a few minutes, it is a very welcome break. A good seat makes all the difference - buy the very best seat you can get (Surf to Summit makes great yak seats), it will be well worth the money. Maybe add a foam cushion...

I have an Ocean Kayak paddle yak and a Hobiepedal yak and I think the pedaling is better for my back than the paddling motion, plus the stock Hobieseat is very comfortable and provide good lower back support. Hope that is helpful.It is not an age thing - I am in my fifties andI know ofreal activeyakfisherman a lot older than me...
GCKFA #1
www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com
FLSalomon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I as well have back probs that severely cripple me from time to time. I find my recovery time is less when I can get otu and paddle for short periods of time. I agree that getting out and walking around when you are feeling uncomfortable is key. I also spend alot of time anchoring so I can sit sideways (with my feet danglin) and stretch forward and leaning slowly back. It helps when getting out is not an option. Good seat is a must. Ive been told knee straps can take pressure off your back but have not tried it. Good Luck.
unibober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Sailfish

The factory seat on my yak used to kill my back and butt after only a couple hours in it. I bought this seat from Surf-to_Summit and now I can be sitting in the yak for 5-6 hours at a time before I even start getting sore.

http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-expe...th=299_294_325

I know it's a little pricey, but trust me, drop some $$$ on your seat and you won't regret it.

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
White Marlin

Thanks for all the advice.....I know you can never spend to muchfor comfort...and a peddle yak I think would be a must for me!!!.....to free up your arms for fishing.

Bill
..........................................semi-RETIRED......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Try moving your foot supports closer to you so your knees are bent about 75 to 80 degrees. This will make abig difference. I had the same problem. good luck..
Dan deGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in