Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Need advice for reds/ specks

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  grgrobards 
#1 ·
Trying to learn to catch reds and speckled trout from my yak. Launched late afternoon today at canoe ramp at Jones Beach. Tried popping cork with gulp shrimp and later a mirror lure- no luck. I'm not asking you to reveal secret spots. I just need some help understanding how to figure out where to fish, how far out, depth,etc. For example, when you fish grass flats, what part? In middle of grassy bottom, where grassy bottom borders sand bottom, how deep, etc.
What bait, lures, techniques are best this time of year?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
You mean Johnson Beach? Never heard of Jones beach.

I tend to find more specks in the transition areas of the flats like sand spots, drop-offs, edges, etc. I catch more reds out in the middle of the open grass flats. This time of year, however, you may have better luck elsewhere. Haven't been in a couple weeks, but it should be slowing down on the flats right about now. Could be wrong though, you might've just found 'em on a bad day.

#3 ·
Try fishing up in the bays or river mouths. Or dock lights at night. One of my favorite tools for planning a trip is tides4fishing.com. It's got all the info you could ask for to plan a trip out including peak feed times (major and minor) based on some solunar stuff. I've started catching way more fish after planning my trips in accordance to that. But if you get in an area where fish are at you're likely to catch them regardless of what the feed times on there say. Just make sure the water is moving. I prefer outgoing tides

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.