Navarre, FL 06/20/10 - First Florida Trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

Default Navarre, FL 06/20/10 - First Florida Trip

My Father's Day gift was a trip to Navarre to take out my new kayak which I have only used once in Week's Bay. We arrived at the Navarre Beach State Park at 8am after driving the hour and a half from Daphne, AL. After talking to a few locals I got the kayak down to the beach.

I launched and admired the beauty of the water(not this color in Gulf Shores). BAIT EVERYWHERE! I played with the bait for about a hour catchinghard-tailsand cigar minnows. I've never caught hard-tails before, but its a blast! I sabikied a bunch and used a Gotcha lure to catch some of larger ones for shark bait.

After playing with bait, I rigged up a hard-tail and trolled him for a little while. I stopped a few times after seeing some massive bait schools go by(sabikied some more cigar minnows) and the last time when resuming a trolling speed my Penn 9/0 baited with the hard-tail started going off. I just got the rod and reel, so I was excited to catch something on it...short lived. I got trolled for about 20 ft and went limp. Reeled in to see my bait bit in half...lol

I rerigged with a cigar minnow the next time and resumed trolling. About 5 min later I was hooked up again. This time it felt weird. No fight, but a little weight. So I reeled in and see a damn remora...I hate remoras.

After wasting that cigar minnow, I rerigged a giant hard-tail since time was running out so I can catch the shark I came for. I cut him up a little after rigging him and dropped him behind me as I paddled away. I paddled closer to shore in about 15ft of water and played with another remora and casted for hard-tails again while waiting.

I got a call from my wife asked my to come back to shore cause her and my daughter were bored and melting from the heat, so I reluctantly agreed......I reeled in the Penn and got my Father's Day gift from the Gulf. Nice 10 min dragging match with a shark. Not sure what kind(please post kind if you know), but most likely a Blacktip?

After getting what I came for I headed back to the beach and started the LONG ANDEXHAUSTING process of dragging the kayak off the beach back to the van(I need bigger beach wheels)...thanks to a very nice man visiting from western Louisiana I made it back without heat exhaustion. I loved my trip and I love Florida...you guys have amazing beaches and fishing.
PAWGhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Navarre, FL 06/20/10 - First Florida Trip

Well, if this is any sign... the yak may be a lucky fish gitter!

Happy father's day to 'ya..

Brent
Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

Thanks...I sure hope its a lucky yak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Looks like perfect conditions for kayaking. Surf can make for a nervous kayak launch when you have about $800 of gear on board.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

Quote:
BlackJeep (21/06/2010)Looks like perfect conditions for kayaking. Surf can make for a nervous kayak launch when you have about $800 of gear on board.
It was perfect! Couldn't ask for a more perfect day...well, maybe not so hot...lol Coming back in was a little shakey, but only cause I was avoiding swimmers and had to ride a surprise wave.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Sailfish

Nice job man. Those hardtails can be fun on light tackle. Annoying when you get more than one on a sabiki and they rip it apart though.

Juvenile balck tips have very distinctive black on the tips of their pectoral fins. This doesn't appear to be the case. I'm thinking it's an Atlantic Sharpnose Shark, especially if it had a few random white spots. They don't get much bigger than that but they have lots of spunk.

A;ex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Nice job on the shark from the yak! It looks like a sandbar shark to me. We've been catching a lot of those off the beach lately. They hang out around the sandbars and are very active right now. See my post below for comparable pics.

<a href="https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/Topic578096.aspx">https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/Topic578096.aspx</a>
kingfisher27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in