Mexico Beach advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Mexico Beach advice

I will be staying just off the beach and near the MB pier first week of August. Any tips or advice on the area appreciated because I have never been there before. Launch sites, good areas to fish, particular currents/flow to be aware of, and any successful rigging is all welcome knowledge. I have been kayak fishing for only about 2 years now and mostly freshwater, but have some salt experience on boats/piers/etc and have taken my little pro-angler out in Bon Secour, off Ft. Morgan, and off Gulf Shores. Not far in the gulf as the conditions haven't been ideal the few times I went out. Pretty well set on gear but can get anything special if needed. And if anyone is interested in a fishing partner during that week I would welcome the company/safety (have VHF as well). Thanks in advance.
choppinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
White Marlin

I've seen flounder caught out of the canal going from the marina to the gulf. She was using live pinfish.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I was there last year in September. I saw one large Spanish caught off the pier.

I will tell you a good place to eat, Shipwrecks. it is about a mile or two past the pier on the left hand side of the road. its an old gas station I think. the food was amazing!
J0nesitheSecond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
White Marlin

Yep flounder off the boardwalk at the inlet. It can be pretty good if you time it right
chaps is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Snapper

Kings are in close. If your not close enough to launch your yak from where your staying, go down the canal parkway (west side of canal bridge) and park your truck at the end and launch from the beach if sea conditions allow. GO EARLY! If sea's don't allow take your yak down to saint joe bay and pull off on the side of the road anywhere around Pressnells and launch and hit the grass flats at daylight with some top water lures. Again GO EARLY and beat the heat. Late afternoons launch under the ICW bridge at highland view-but not in the canal because that current is tricky. Work between that canal and westward towards the docks with some bull minnows and you can pick up some flounder.
kmerr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
Trigger

Thanks, this is all great info. Early is my preference by far. I will be right on the beach so beach launch is the primary possibility, but I do like having easy back-up launch sites because the surf can prove challenging for a novice like me some days. Flounder sounds good if that is common around there - is the area also good for gigging or primarily hook n line? Thanks again, and welcome any more advice someone may have to offer.
choppinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in