May 13th trip/suggested species??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default May 13th trip/suggested species???

Im bringing the family to gulf shores May 13th-17th, we usually Come in July and I have done great trolling for kings. I will be bringing the kayak, and surf rigs. This is just two months earlier than I’m used to.

My question to all of you is what would you go after that week? Kings, pomp, reds? Any suggestions would be great.

I’m definitely not looking for free honey holes. I can find fish, I’m just wondering if you guys had one species the target in mid-May what would it be?

Any flounder worth chasing this time of year?

I’m looking for charter suggestions too but I’ll post that elsewhere. Triggers hopefully still in? Any other bottom dwellers legal right now?
Jayu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Snapper

THis season has started a bit late and its been colder than normal, but the pompano bite has been great. It may still be going strong when you visit, so put a rod in the water when you are sitting around on the beach.
From the kayak I would target kings, you will get some spanish too and could catch a blackfin tuna if you are lucky. If the weather doesn't cooperate for a trip in the gulf hit the bays for trouts and reds.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the tips. Never caught a pomp. Sand fleas easy to come by this time of year?

I usually troll dead cigs. If I was to mix it up a bit, would a "hard bait" like a yo-zuri be more of a "catch all" for BFT or Spanish?

All of the suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Snapper

Yes, hard baits are great and lots of people pull yo zuris around here. You can also try a ratl trap, and gotcha lures or straw rigs are popular for spanish.

Its been a great pompano season (I know a boy who caught 13 the other day), so I would go for them. YOu just put a baited rod in a rod holder on the beach and sit around with the family. When the rod bends over, get up and reel it in. Very low key and easy. Sand fleas can be spotty and I just use an artificial bate called Fish Bites. It seems to be becoming the pompano fishing standard, stays on you hook much better during big surf casts. Pompano are great to eat, you can grill them whole very easily.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
Snapper

possible correction, I just talked with my neighbor who is on Grayton Beacch almost every morning. He said the pompano are gone now and the run is over. The june grass is starting to come in and that makes surf fishing a challenge anyways. Just FYI
Old 05-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Guys-Thanks for the great responses and the possible bad news. I appreciate the input.

I guess I have never really dealt with June grass. Will it slow down kayak fishing beyond the bars as well?

Is it showing up in Gulf Shores yet?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Snapper

It wont mess with you past the sand bars. I'd never heard of this june grass till I moved to Florida, between destin and panama city. So maybe in gulf shores its not an issue?
I would still probably surf fish if I were you, since you will be on the beach anyways.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
Snapper

Triggerfish are still in, you can keep 1 and it has to be at least 15 inches to the fork. If you know any nearby reefs there in 60+ feet of water you have a good shot at getting 1. Also, live shrimp on those same reefs can produce nice sized black snapper. Trolling for kings is good, the rat l trap for kings and spanish is a well kept secret in my opinion...and even better I would pull a drone spoon, if they're home then they will smash it. Good luck, hopefully weather and seas hold up for ya
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the tips guys. Caught my first Pompano yesterday evening when we got to town right before sunset. Fishbites.

Gonna try out kayak later today.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayu View Post
My question to all of you is what would you go after that week? Kings, pomp, reds? Any suggestions would be great.
target anything that will bite. That way you wont be disappointed....
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in