Lowrance Hook 2 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blsmnsz
  • 1 Post By Rocko

Old 03-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Lowrance Hook 2

Just picked up my new Lowrance Hook (4x) and I'm pretty hyped to get it mounted on my yak.. Do any of you run this finder and if so any tips on the best way to mount it.
Saltlife Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife Newb View Post
Just picked up my new Lowrance Hook (4x) and I'm pretty hyped to get it mounted on my yak.. Do any of you run this finder and if so any tips on the best way to mount it.
I don't know about "best" and I'm sure much depends on your kayak and your preferences...But MY limited experience with that locator on my kayak (35 days in the Keys this winter fishing saltwater every day) indicated to me that it's a really good idea to goober up the connectors with dialectric grease.
WiscoArborist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Snapper

Yes, dielectric grease is a must, just use it from the get go.

I went with an in hull mount and really cant imagine why you would use another method if this is your regular kayak. The install is easy, you just silicone it to the bottom and glue some foam around it for protection. I got rubber grommets for holes where the cords exit the yak, and the battery is in a dry box in my cargo hatch.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
Yes, dielectric grease is a must, just use it from the get go.

I went with an in hull mount and really cant imagine why you would use another method if this is your regular kayak. The install is easy, you just silicone it to the bottom and glue some foam around it for protection. I got rubber grommets for holes where the cords exit the yak, and the battery is in a dry box in my cargo hatch.

So your transducer is inside your yak and not in the water? Sorry for the dumb question lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I use Gardner bender duct seal from Home Depot to mount transducer inside my hobie revolution. I’ve used it for 5 years and it’s still holding. The good thing about using duct seal is it’s not a permanent mount and it only cost $2.98.
Attached Thumbnails
Lowrance Hook 2-3958bda8-9a55-4d9f-a74f-c01efbf3ad1d_1521642329521-jpg  
Saltlife Newb likes this.
blsmnsz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Snapper

Yes, the transducer is inside the kayak. I cut out a foam cradle for it, then put a whole bunch of silicone on the bottom of the yak in that foam cradle, then I nestled the transducer down in it. No problems at all. One trick is to place the silicone sealant applicator tip against the plastic of the yak as you squeeze out silicone, it helps avoid bubbles, and wiggle the transducer as you set it down to help air bubbles escape. It was easier than I thought it would be and now its nice and protected inside the yak.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
Yes, the transducer is inside the kayak. I cut out a foam cradle for it, then put a whole bunch of silicone on the bottom of the yak in that foam cradle, then I nestled the transducer down in it. No problems at all. One trick is to place the silicone sealant applicator tip against the plastic of the yak as you squeeze out silicone, it helps avoid bubbles, and wiggle the transducer as you set it down to help air bubbles escape. It was easier than I thought it would be and now its nice and protected inside the yak.
cool thanks. I was worried about the image being distorted or something if the transducer wasn't in the water. Sorry for the dumb questions im still a newb at this kayak thing lol
Old 03-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Trigger

Ok I saw someone else with theirs inside the hull the other day. Never thought about it before but loved the idea as mine is always getting caught on something during loading/loading and beaching...glad others are not having issues...guess I will be moving mine. The guy I spoke to said he just siliconed it to the flattest spot on the inside of his and had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saltlife Newb likes this.
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
Snapper

It really was easier to install the transducer inside the yak thank I expected. The potential problem is a bubble in the silicone. So, put the tip of the silicone tube against the yak as you squeeze and wiggle the transducer to get bubbles out. If you mess up, its a super easy fix, silicone cuts/peels right out and you try again. Drilling holes in the yak for the cords is nerve-wracking, but you just gotta become comfortable with putting holes in the yak for modifications.
I have had no image issues with the in hull mount. I've heard the water temp may take a little time to become accurate with the in hull, but thats it. I even dropped a washer in between the foam cradle and the side of the transducer and couldn't retrieve it and everything works fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in