Looking for some basic advice to get started. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Unread 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Looking for some basic advice to get started.

Working in Pensacola for the summer, I've never been before but from my research kayak fishing maybe the way to go. I was wondering if people just simply launch from the beach and throw some bait on the bottom. Any help y'all could offer would be great!
carolina14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

I don't have any first hand experience. I have been researching as well myself. I plan on doing one weekend a month. I live in Louisiana so its about a 3 hour ride. Ill be looking for someone to go out with if you want to come along. From what I've learned you can use a sabiki rig to catch bait fish on the other side of the breakers. Troll the live bait on the way out to artificial reefs. Fish on the bottom for snapper, grouper, etc... Fish higher in the water column for mackerel, cobia, bonito, mahi, etc...
Maxxed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I am also new the yak fishing. I plan on going as much as possible on my off days, just have not yet. I watched a lot of youtube video by YakMotley, he is local to Pensacola and has some good videos. Y'all holla at me when you are going and we can meet up and drown some bait.
woodydamyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Right on! I'll check out those videos. I'm down to drown some bait.
Maxxed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Snapper

Kayak fishing is available in the bays and in the gulf. Yes, people launch directly off the beach. You can troll frozen cigar minnows, live bait you catch with a sabiki, or any shiny lure that looks like a fish, and catch spanish and king mackerel, bonita, another rarer stuff too. Bottom fishing for reef fish is possible but requires a gps or fishfinder to get you on the structure. Look into a king mackerel rig, 30-40 lb wire with a main hook and a stinger hook. Any local bait shops can get you going. If you can afford it, the best way is to hire a guide your first time and ask him to teach you. Otherwise, you will go through multiple trips by yourself as you just figure out simple things.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I'd definitely check out YakMotley, 30MilesOut, Kyleforawhile, and Kvartekmedia on Facebook. Yak and 30 do a lot of offshore/BTB yak fishing. 30 also does a lot of bay fishing out of the yak. Kyle and Kmedia do a lot of inshore, bridge and structure fishing out of the yak. I enjoy all 4 because they love what the do, and they share techniques and strategies, equipment used, etc. Also, join the Emerald Coast Kayak Fishing group on FB. They have have group/ tag-a-longs to help noobs, promote the sport, and to offer safety in numbers.

Last edited by Sam-I-am; 03-28-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Sam-I-am is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

If your new to paddling please take up an intro seminar, and research and practice self rescue. If your on the water, some day you'll be in the water...and if thats in the gulf it could be worse than a just a bad day.
Chumbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in