king setup - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badonskybuccaneers

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Grouper

Default king setup

I'm coming back home to visit in July and I want to do some king fishing out of my kayak. What would be a good king mack red/reel setup? I have several 7500ss and an 8500 ss as well as some smaller penn reels. My concern is that most of my rods that I normally use for kings are more of surf/pier rods. I was looking at trolling a cig with a skirt and maybe a stretch 15-25.(seems like the 25 is a lot aof drag for a yak) Should I get smaller rods for my 7500's or do I need a big baitcaster with braid?
nathan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Grouper

i bought a 7500 from a guy who used it on his yak, he had it on a catfish ugly stick. he said he caught many kings on it. lite and cheap.
J0nesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Grouper

Actually not a bad plan. Ugly sticks are not the most sensitive, but while trolling that's not really a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

This is probably more than you asked for but...

I am by no means an expert at this and only fish down there 2-3weeks a year when we visit- still pretty new to ocean side of it but from speaking to guys, trolling the forum and personal trial and error i troll the following set up for everything in the ocean. I have a okuma star drag conventional reel loaded with 25lb mono on an okuma conventional rod rated 20-50lbs, I attach that to a pink skirted (pirate plug or king rig with a chin weight) with a frozen cig. I believe max drag is 22lbs on this reel. My other 2 rods are a medium action 7ft ugly stick big water 10-25lb line rating. Currently have it paired with a sh***y daiwa 4500( waiting for it to die to I can get the penn 4500ssv). This reel i have loaded with 30 lb braid and a 20lb mono topshot of about 25 yards. One this rod i troll a yozuri crystal minnow or a bomber crystal minnow 5 3/4 inch lure- i use 40 lb steel wire leader tied directly to the line. The other rod i have a gotcha or some other lure tied to it in case i come across something interesting.

On the above i have caught- kings, spanish, sharks, bluefish, f**** ladyfish and bonito in Perdido key area. Seen tarpon and cobia.

I have found that I never have any of my reels set on full drag. In fact when i am trolling my drag is set to a little tighter than a free spool, basically i like the drag to keep my cigar minnow or yozuri from taking out line, while a paddle but soft enough that when a king takes it, he can run with it. Once the run has ended or slowed i tighten my drag up some. Usually to the point where i can get some traction on the fish, but not too much that he will pull the hook should he try run again- this is where my trial and error came in.

I do not think the reels you have are an issue, maybe a little big but for a week or so, not worth getting anything new. On the rods, 7-8ft is about all you need. Anything over that is probably a little too much. You need more of a boat rod than a surf or pier rod.

Tight lines.
AfricanAmercan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Sounds like you have the reels for it- you can catch a decent king mackerel on a good 5000 series and up. Your 7500 will have more than enough power for those nearshore kings. We use a good 7' med rod, penn slammer or Carnage are what we frequently use on the boat. Can't go wrong with an ugly stick, not for $50. Heck, Shakespeare should sponsor us for as many of their Ugly Stick rods as we have used.
gulfbreezetom likes this.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Grouper

I have a 550 as well, I guess filled with braid it would have enough line for a good size king.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
White Marlin

When I first started trolling kings, I bought a $20 Berkely Big Game 8" rod and a Shakespear Tidewater 40 reel. I originally planned to use it "till next year" and get something better. Worked great.

The next year I did buy a Big Penn Trolling reel (GTO I think) and another Berkely Rod. First troll on first trip, the Penn handgrenaded, not even on a fish. I ran to walmart and bought anotherTidewater 40.

Now I have been using them for 7 and 8 years... Not a lick of problems out of either one and many dozens of kings brought to the grill... Kinda hard to beat a $60 complete setup with no problems. I have several dozen other rod/reel setups, some costing $300+. I know that is not alot of money for a setup, but it's a respectable amount. Point is, I know the difference between cheap crap and good stuff. That Tidewater combo is some cheap crap that has worked out for me for a long time...
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Grouper

I had a tidewater that took a dump, I may use that rod and get a better reel for it.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

Are y'all picking up decent kings kayak trolling stretch 15-25? I've never been Yaking for kings, would rather paddle a live hardtail around but I don't think I would find any.
Randall2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in