Key sailing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Formerly Hank Hill
Grouper

Default Key sailing

Has key sailing ever told anyone else besides me that the warranty on marage drive is only one year? maybe a better question would be has anyone received good service from Key Sailing during the summer? I checked the warranty info I received with the kayak, all it says is 2 year warranty on kayak and all components.
16983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Trigger

They told me one year on Mirage drive, two years on hull. (This was approx. three weeks ago.) I have not dug into the warranty info yet to see for myself.
servo765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

Key part of the warranty states this:

Two year coverage on hull and all components.

It does not exclude the drive anywhere I can find.

http://www.hobiecat.com/articles/hobie-warranty,97/
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Grouper

I would call Fairhope Boat Co. and ask them. They are very straight forward and even heard last year that an owner had a Hobie hull that was cracked and was 7 years old and they actually only made him pay a small portion for a newer model. Apparently Hobie warranty and service is excellent.
Bigkidneys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Formerly Hank Hill
Grouper

I would try Fairhope if I didn't live in Milton. I did email Hobie specifically about the warranty on the Mirage drive. They agreed that it is 2 years. Key made me pay for the parts and said they would "submit" them to Hobie for a refund. I took the email to the Manager at Key. He said he would "re-submit" the warranty claim on a chain and the idler cable and should know within 48 hours. I kinda doubt that he submitted it in the first place as he was convinced of the one year warranty untill I showed him the email. Nothing like the service you get at Key during the tourist season, and that's nothing like service. Maybe I will just do the drive to Fairhope for any further service.....
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

Pensacola Kayak and Sail, (fairhope boat company) did me right for my Native Kayak.

What bugs me and was told to me is that all waranty work/parts are supposed to done through the shop where you bought the kayak. Well guess what, I moved 10 hrs from where I bought mine. So when I checked with PKS about a broken handle on my yak, they informed me of this. But they handed me a new handle and said it's on the house. I know it was inexpensive part. But that little gesture made me feel good about doing business with them in the future.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
Pensacola Kayak and Sail, (fairhope boat company) did me right for my Native Kayak.

What bugs me and was told to me is that all waranty work/parts are supposed to done through the shop where you bought the kayak. Well guess what, I moved 10 hrs from where I bought mine. So when I checked with PKS about a broken handle on my yak, they informed me of this. But they handed me a new handle and said it's on the house. I know it was inexpensive part. But that little gesture made me feel good about doing business with them in the future.

Yep, that is the service you get from PKS and Fairhope. They are owned by the same person but PKS does not carry Hobie as Key has the contract to sell Hobie locally. I think what hurts Key is that with it being in a touristy area, us locals don't get the attention we would like if we are considering dropping quite a bit of money in the shop as I am assuming they likely think we are locals and most likely are just there to rent a boat or look around. Never had an issue there but I myself prefer to go to PKS or drive to Fairhope if need be. I've bought yaks from both of their shops and the service and rapport has been great. Like someone mentioned here, Just hit the hobiecat.com forum if you have any good questions as their moderators frequent the board constantly as could have answered this question within a few hours for you if needed.
Bigkidneys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Formerly Hank Hill
Grouper

Default It's finally over and Key Sailing sucks

Well, after the warranty was refused 2X by Key, I emailed Hobie and they confirmed the 2 year warranty, Kayak and all components. I took this email to Key. They said they would resubmit it to Hobe, what do you know, they approved it.....Holey shit, I asked if this was their first warranty ever. Finally the guy said "I looked at the warranty and it said 2 years on the kayak and components." Just like I have been telling them all along. I truely believe they never submitted anything to Hobie untill after I brought the email brom Hobie. Bottom Line....Key is a bunch of dumb asses. Maybe they learned something that will help others out in the future. Anyway, they are refunding my money, even though I bought it it Saint Georges Island. Guess Key is just too busy in the summer to be bothered with us non-tourists. I'm done with them.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

I wish someone else had the lock with hobie for our area. When I was shopping for the PA it took. Them three calls to pick up the phone . Once they finally did they put me on hold and forgot about me. I ended up buying mine at fair hope and everything went smooth they even gave me some free acessories.
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1109 View Post
Has key sailing ever told anyone else besides me that the warranty on marage drive is only one year? maybe a better question would be has anyone received good service from Key Sailing during the summer? I checked the warranty info I received with the kayak, all it says is 2 year warranty on kayak and all components.
I have never dealt with Key Sailing regarding kayaks but I have with Hobiecat sailboats. Key seems more oriented to selling at a higher cost to tourists rather than being a good steward to water sports.
I was sailing in the sound about 1/2 mile off the beach several years ago on my Hobiecat and had a mast stay break thus causing the mast to depart from the trampoline. Without the sail or mast being vertical I was not going anywhere. Out comes a kid on a jet ski from Key Sailing to see if I was OK. I asked him to tow me back to the beach....which he declined to do....but he did tell me when I got back to the beach he had all the parts I would need to repair the boat. Maybe it was due to company policy or some other BS reason that he could not throw me a line but that whole event just rubbed me wrong.
I got back to the beach and drove to Ft. Walton to get the parts I needed for my repair. Sad thing is the owner is a top notch catamaran sailor and knows his stuff when it comes to sailing. The shop doesn't seem to be much on customer service but more on making a buck.
SHatten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in