Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By blue gheenoe
  • 1 Post By barefoot
  • 1 Post By azevedo16
  • 1 Post By Yellow River Cat

Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Kayaking Yellow River?

Anyone kayaked down Yellow River to East Bay from the Milligan Landing on Hwy 90? Can the trip be done in one day (at a leisurely but steady pace)? If not, can the trip be made over the weekend? I know it depends on rainfall, but typically is there high and dry ground available for camping at the approximate halfway point? I presume you can camp on Eglin's property with a permit? Are the yellow flies (flying piranhas) gone by late summer / early fall?

Not sure about doing this trip but I've always loved Yellow River and would like to experience it without a motor. Probably should do a shorter trip first. Any input or additional information appreciated.

Thanks.
Fishing Grandpa likes this.
blue gheenoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

1st thing is, you can get to East River via Yellow River, unless you go to the mouth in Blackwater Bay, then paddle South on Blackwater to East River.

Also, there used to be a log jam somewhere up around the Milligan area, not sure if it got cleared?
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
White Marlin

Hmmm, no, no, yes, yes, yes, better hope so.
lsucole likes this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Sailfish

Might try putting in at Milligan and float down to Rivers edge campground or log lake. I believe it would be a better trip for you
Yellow River Cat likes this.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
Mingo

We put in at Hwy 2 and spent three days canoeing down to East Bay years ago. The water was high but we also took a 18'? Cobia(support boat) down the river so the chainsaws were busy. I couldn't do it today because I would have to stop and fish too much.
polhlor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Grouper

That is a trip that I have often thought of doing as well. Log onto Google Earth and zoom in on the river. There appear to be few sandbars along the way but I am sure there are pull outs.
Foulhook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
Snapper

Default Kayaking Yellow River?

Public ramp at Guest Lake is a good place to camp but thereís no potable water. I would advise you to put in there and paddle out to the river to make sure you can find it when coming from upstream as itís easy to miss. Wilkerson Bluff and Log Lake are private RV Park & Campgrounds. Other than that Elgin is the only public campgrounds and you need a permit from Jackson Guard. Not sure but I think you can get them online. Gin Hole just below where Shoal Rv. comes in, Carr Landing is next then Metts Bluff is the last one. The bleachers are on Elgin for the Ranger School so donít camp there. The river forks down below there and I would advise taking the left fork the right fork goes by Grarners Campground (private) and forks again below there with the right fork being rough going. Fishers Mill Landing is on that fork but it is easier to paddle up to it than fight the trees. Thereís an old pilling in the middle of the river just before that fork comes back into the river. Just below Hwy 87 Bridge the river forks with the left hand fork being called Weaver Rv and there is a camp site on that fork I almost forgot. For a nice day trip put in Boilling Creek at the bridge on 211 and take out at either Escibano campground on the bay or go on to East Rv
Google Earth all your options so you have an idea of what youíre getting into
Had a friend years ago who would canoe from Milligan to East Rv but he would take a week to make the trip as he fished on the way

Edit to add things I forgot about and Iím sure I missed some others
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fairpoint likes this.

Last edited by Yellow River Cat; 08-06-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Yellow River Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in