Kayak Bait Tank discussion - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivarie

Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Kayak Bait Tank discussion

Only because I saw the one selling for $165 in the ads section. I figured I'd offer up my solution as I couldn't justify the high price tag on a lot of these round coolers. I picked up a gatorade cooler for 40$ on Craigslist. Then I used a cheap bubbler I had laying around. Eventually, I upgraded to the 12volt bubbler that has two stones. All in, I'm at 70$ I think. This was the first iteration: http://imgur.com/htVq2Xu. It's changed a bit since then, but it's about the same. I use this for freshwater blue back herring which are notoriously tough to keep alive. I can keep 2 dozen in the dead of summer in Atlanta. I use it down in the Salt if I net a bunch of mullet or Pinfish. That said, I'm shying away from this for salt and relying on the bait tube. I can keep over a dozen cigar minnows alive in a bait tube that cost me about 14$. With two bait tubes, I'm at the same capacity as my 7 gallon gatorade container and I'm not dealing with the additional weight factor of 7 gallons of water. Even with two bait tubes added in, I'm no where near the 165$ for the option in the ads. That said, 165$ is an infinitely fair price for that setup.
Ivarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

ive been thinking of making a bait tube out of pvc. buying a live well for a kayak does not seem worth the money. Thanks for helping me make my decision!
jimbofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Trigger

There once was a time where I was considering buying the hobie livewell...built a bait tube and havent looked back.
GAjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Trigger

Bait tube in the salt, it's all you need really. Now, I do like having the bait tank when I net mullet and pinfish. I can keep them alive for a week in it without much effort. That ensures that I have fresh live bait at the ready. But when I head out, the bait tube is so easy. I'm sure folks have seen the builds here, but you can get 2' sections of 3" PVC at Lowes. Then I used the drain caps that slide right in. I didn't cement the bottom one either and it's never come out. I drilled a bunch a holes in the tube for drainage. Went out this past weekend, had Spanish sardines, cigars and speedos all jammed in it. I think I had 15 baits in it with no losses. The Lowes option cost me like 14$ I think.
gulfbreezetom likes this.
Ivarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in