how far is too far? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree12Likes

Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
Grouper

Default how far is too far?

So what is the fares distance into the GOM you have been on your yak? Peddling or paddling? Just trying to get an idea on how far I need to venture out
bdyboarder86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

A friend and I once paddled to a rig that was just over 8 miles offshore.

I will never do that again even though it was awesome. We covered just over 22 miles through the course of the day and caught a ton of fish. I'd say a reasonable distance is inside 5 miles
BigRed38 likes this.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
central florida refugee
Snapper

about 3 miles a time or two with my paddle and the trip in is LOOONG after a day of fishing i promise you that................i tend to stay within a mile anymore
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
SaltWaterBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I rarely go more than two miles myself. The long hauls used to be fun, but not so much anymore and I don't have to go that far to catch fish.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
A friend and I once paddled to a rig that was just over 8 miles offshore.

I will never do that again even though it was awesome. We covered just over 22 miles through the course of the day and caught a ton of fish. I'd say a reasonable distance is inside 5 miles
The better question is, what distance are you prepared to paddle.

Anything over 2-3, I am not comfortable paddling just due to pure discomfort by the end of the day. I did a 4 mile one way trip one day and made it back to shore completely dehydrated and on the brink of heat exhaustion. Wind flipped on us and we kept getting pushed further out.

When I upgrade to the Outback, I will more than happily peddle those distances but a VHF will be in tow, as well as mass quantities of consumable H2O.

I wouldn't suggest making a long trip a lone either, just because if something were to happen you have a buddy to help with the situation.

When starting in the GOM, start with shorter trip so you can adjust to being on the open water, its a different animal than the inshore life. Seas pick up quick and wind can flip directions in a heart beat. Also, on your first couple of trips, identify land marks near your launch points. Primarily stuff large enough to see when the shoreline becomes hard to see.
Bencatch and Ptpainton like this.
BigRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Snapper

not much of a kayaker but the last thing position I would want to be in is more then a few miles offshore and in a bind.. things can change fast in the gulf.. currents, rogue waves, etc.. I sure as hell would be wearing a life preserve and have a life support device around my neck!!
BigRed38 likes this.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
Squid technician
Grand Slam

The best thing is to ease your way into the offshore jaunts. Always bring plenty of water, power bars or other high energy snacks and both your VHF radio and cell phone. It's best to go with a buddy too.

After re-reading the OP, I should've answered different at first. I'd never suggest going over a mile until you're familiar with your own limits.
BigRed38 likes this.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
The Tourist
Sailfish

apparently you lose sight of land at 7 miles and I've been to the point I can just barely see the hotels along Pensacola.

you don't really need to go more than 800yrds out to catch fish. Cobia, kings, smacks, jacks, sharks etc. the only time you might want to venture further is when looking for snapper spots. it will take awhile to locate good, non public spots (not all are private either, there's some sand out there that holds snapper) but start at about 3/4 mile out from the pier and make your way to Portofino and back looking for structure while trolling a deep diver or two. gradually make your way out to 2 miles (50 yards at a time) all while looking for bottom spots.

you'll catch a ton of fish and you'll have a few spots to hit close to shore on opener morning.
superdave likes this.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Sailfish

I go as far as I can while I can still see land.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

I rarelgbgo more then two miles. However, as a new yaker please stay close until you learn your yak, your abilities and until you can read the signs (weather, wind, waves).
Chapman5011 likes this.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in