how far - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default how far

what distance is to far to paddle if you stay close to the shore i can see the pay bridge from shore line boat ramp its close but looks are deciveing i just bought a12ft. pelican 116 sit on top went out today just to paddle it was preety smooth but their was no wind or wave i should have taken a rod i got my legs wet is this normal or was i paddeling to hard my son wants a kayak now he is 12 but is pretty good size i paid 350 for mine i cant spend much more than that any comments would be great salt life foever
david starnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: how far

Paddle as far as your arms will take you, just remember you have to paddle back. Getting wet is normal, just get you some waterproof pants for the winter time.
User1265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Mingo

i mounted a compass on my yak incase the fish take my out to a point its too hard to distinguish landmarks that way i can measure what degree to head to get relatively close to my end point. Not to mention my vhf radio as a lifeline. I would go just as far as you feel comfortable and physically able to accomplish (trip out + trip in). you dont wantto be outside your comfort level way out there...you might lose composure and cause an dangerous situation for yourself
ApexYakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Snapper

Always keep wind and currents in mind, these can really turn things around on the return trip. Many times the wind switched directions being against me on the return trip, really can wear a guy down bucking wind both directions. Just be patient and take it a little at a time, you will soon learn your limits.
Jig n Hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Sailfish

Start small build from there. Going a little farther each trip will build your endurance, confidence, and comfort level. Also, make sure you start out going INTO the wind and current so that when you're tired and coming back, you don't have to fight them. Unless they change directions as Jig n Hawgs mentioned. You always want to check the weather and tides before you go, even if things don't do what they are supposed to, you'll still have an idea of conditions to plan for and expect.

I personally prefer to check http://www.noaa.gov/ and http://www.weather.com/ for weather and http://saltwatertides.com/pickpred.html for the tides. There are lots of others out there, find a few that work for you.

Also, you ARE going to get wet on a kayak. Some designs are dryer than others, but it WILL happen. During the summer it feels great, in winter not so much. I usually wear rain pants, especially if I'm going to be out for more than an hour or 2. Sometimes even a wetsuit plus additional layers. I'd recommend you wear more than you think you will need. That way you can pull off layers, but if things change you can get them back on again. Trust me, it's a pain to get caught in a rainstorm when your jacket is 2 miles away in your car at the launch point.

PM me if you have time to go out this weekend.

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Sailfish

I saw some guys on yaks at the 3 barges. Seemed crazy to

me. There were 3 of them and they seemed like they knew what they were doing. That seems so far to me I think it would be cool to get tugged around by a big fish
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Sailfish

I've been approx 3miles off Navarre Beach before and seen guys out even further. I've been from one end of 3mile bridge to the other and back a couple times in good conditions. Definitely adds comfort having a buddy or 2 out there with you.

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

i dont know if got the rightgear yet i would love to check your kayak and gear out ifyou give a time and place your going out i will met you at the ramp beforeyou head out im not scared just want tobe prepared thanks for all the info so far look forward to getting out
david starnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in