Hobie (DiaMec) 12v FF battery life & replacement - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Hobie (DiaMec) 12v FF battery life & replacement

Just curious of the lifespan any of you have gotten out this battery. I have had one for a little over 2 years and started to have some issues with my fish finder shutting down on me. It is just a little lowrance elite 5 chirp but I read they are sensitive to power flux (online info) and can shut down. Redid all connections and dielectric greased all plugs. Same issue. Checked my battery and was under 7v even though it was charged and only ran the FF for about 20 min. Charged it up and holding only 11.5v. Just wondering what some of you think a fair life expectancy is out of these batteries?

Also, anyone know of decent replacements? I can add the hobie plug connectors to a normal battery, so does not have to be exact with plug - just the right power needs and same/similar size to fit my little hobie battery holder.

For clarity, I don't recall where I got mine originally, but this is the exact battery and the holder I use:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...v-Battery.html

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ry-Holder.html

Battery says it is a Diamec model DM 12-9(12v9ah/20hr) with cycle use: 14.4-15.0v; standby use: 13.5-13.8; initial current: less than 2.7A

I am no expert in these things. Are these acceptable replacements (except terminal ends needing plug added)

http://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-EX...2v+9ah+battery

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Bat...2v+9ah+battery

http://www.amazon.com/DMU12-9-Volt-R...ds=Diamec+12-9
choppinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Hey Choppinlow. I've been running a power wheels battery for over 10 years. My current one is over 5 years old and it lasts all night running an Elite 7 HDI and lots of LED's.

voltage - the powerweelz battery is 18v. But my wiring gauge, terminations and wire length results in a drop in voltage to 12 volts at load points. I run 14 gauge multi-strand wire. If you use the small trailer wire, the voltage is potentially going to drop dramatically more.

Need to ensure solid solder points with really good insulation to prevent salt water corrosion inside the wire. I cover each termination with multi-layer; marine 5200 + 600 volt squashy tape + a final outer cote of marine 5200.
Crazy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Oh yeah, about the shut down...

a friend of mine had the same problem and it was because he had used all trailer wire and the terminal voltage was only 8v at his sonar. He had to replace all his wiring to stop the voltage drop.

His unit didn't start the intermittent shut down until about 2 years in. I suspect because his battery was not as strong after charging as when it was new.
Crazy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Mingo

Thats just a basic 7ah battery, they label em 7-9 depending on manufacturer. I deal with them on a daily basis with the access and alarm systems. These batteries are deepcycle but the one thing I have found is charge them immediately after use. I have a couple 12v 35ah for my trolling motor that ive been using for over 5 years recharging after every use. Also keep in mind that the charge current needs to be around 10% of its capacity and stop when the voltage is around 13.5v. I use a smart charger for mine so it flips to a trickle after charge, so i just plug itnin and forget about it.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Shrimp300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks guys -
choppinlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in