Hobie compass - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalashnikov
  • 1 Post By Kalashnikov

Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Hobie compass

What’s up everyone? I just picked up the hobie compass and love it so far! I previously had an ascend kayak which I was afraid to take offshore because I felt as though I was paddling a barge lol. Now that I have a WAY better kayak I would like to get offshore. I have everything I need and have been offshore in boats before but never a kayak. Does anyone have any tips or things they have learned in the past to help me out prior to heading out in a kayak for the first time? Maybe someone is looking for a fishing partner? Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobie compass-2efc9687-155c-4bff-a799-bf55ff516489_1527652760632-jpg  
wgcrandell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

I have the same kayak and have taken it offshore a few times and it does great. Some quick tips for you.
1. Make sure the weather is going to be in your favor when you are offshore, light to no wind, calm seas, etc...
2. Wear your PFD at all times
3. Leash all your stuff you dont want to lose. Rods, drive, etc..
4. Waterproof VHF handhelds are cheap on amazon
5. Practice turtling your kayak, flipping it back over and reentering, get comfortable with it.
6. Don't go alone, bring a buddy or two or three, the more the better.
Jonee523 likes this.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Trigger

Exactly as stated above oh and congrats on the compass..few of us on here have one as well..handles everything I can throw at it or on it plus more...will be super happy every time you go out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I am in the same situation as you. I would love to try BTB but have never been. I have an outback, if ya want to try some time let me know...

PM me if ya want to try or even hit the sound.
Jonee523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the responses! I will make sure I do all that’s stated from you guys. One more question, is there any particular areas I should pay attention to? I’m not asking for your spots but is there an area near shore within a mile or so that I should start at? I would prefer to fish around Johnson’s Beach because it’s closest to my house but I’m willing to travel over to Pensacola Beach area. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Snapper

There are lots of reefs and underwater structure, coordinates are publicly available. You would need a GPS or fishfinder to get on them and bottom fish, but trolling around them is productive too so just being in the general area is good. I think the top of this kayak forum section has a thread with the coordinates and you can google them easily. Besides structure, paddle out to the "color change", where the water turns deep slate blue. Zig zag trolling back and forth across the color change (for kings, spanish, maybe even mahi or black fin tuna if you are lucky), and parrallel the beach in between sand bars (great way to have fun catching lady fish), or just past the second sand bar.
People are wise in being careful fishing BOB, but its really not that crazy or hard to learn, so I recommend being bold (but safe) and going for it. The water is dirty right now but when it clears up the fun will start and wont stop till november
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Great info!! Thank you so much. I’m going to go for it as soon as I get my fish finder battery in and get it set up. I really appreciate all the help. Once again, if anyone is looking for someone to fish with I am all in! Send me a message
Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I am still in Houston but should be moved to Pace in the next couple weeks. Once I get out there I can go fish with you if you want. I fish everyday so I can go whenever your schedule and weather allows. My last trip there a couple weeks ago Redfishnone and I caught kings, a small cobia, mahi, tons of bonitas and remoras, and a massive spanish mack.

Here is the link to his trip report.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...at-day-901266/
Jonee523 likes this.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in