Help choosing a Kayak!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lobsterman

Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Help choosing a Kayak!!!

I'm in between three different kayaks atm. The Big Fish 120, the Perception Pescador Pro 12, and the Jackson Bite. Does anyone here have any experience with those? If so, some feedback to help with my decision would be nice.
taylorek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Sailfish

What kind of fishing/paddling do you plan to do? What kind of water? Do you plan to stand and fish? Are you an especially big guy?

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

Last edited by aquatic argobull; 04-20-2019 at 05:02 PM.
aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

My advice to you is do not take a recommendation and buy. Try each one you are looking at and then buy according to your preference after demo. So try before you buy!
Shrimp300 likes this.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

I plan on doing inshore and then hitting some lakes or ponds. I definitely will be wanting to stand up. I'm 5'9 and around 140 pounds. The problem is that not all of those are available for testing around here.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #5
Sailfish

I agree with lobsterman, you never really know a kayak until you paddle one, but you can tell a lot about how a kayaks going to paddle by the specs. Longer and sleeker mean faster and less stable for standing. Short and fat mean slow but stable. The Jackson and the Big Fish are going to be like fishing out of a tank at your weight. You could probably dance a jig up there. But they are going to paddle like a barge. It’s always a trade off. You just have to think about how far your fishing spots are from your launch. If you aren’t car topping, you could also look For something like a Jackson cuda 14. Because it’s so long, it is a lot faster than the 11s and 12s you mentioned, and it stands really well and is built for fishing. But I’m sure it’s a pain to load on top of a car. It’s better for a truck with a bed extender.

Also, standing on a kayak is a skill in itself. You get better with practice. Good luck, let us know what you end up with. I’m sure you’re going to enjoy any of those you mentioned

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorek View Post
I plan on doing inshore and then hitting some lakes or ponds. I definitely will be wanting to stand up. I'm 5'9 and around 140 pounds. The problem is that not all of those are available for testing around here.
I am still a kayak relative rookie. I got mine December a year ago, and I am here to tell you that I tried the ones I wanted and eliminated a few by trying them. A lot of people swear by Hobie and I hated them. The straight back and forth peddling killed my knees immediately. I will also say I am extremely impressed with Old Town Predator. They make them in peddle and paddle versions and you can absolutely try them out here at Half Hitch. Just call for a demo day! I ended up with the Old Town Predator PDL and have been as far as 11.2 miles on a fishing trip. That according to google maps. Again Try before you buy. Some will not perform as you think they should. You do not want to buy one that you don't like. It is not worth the investment, if you are not satisfied with it.
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

I will be car topping this thing! So weight is a major factor. For refernce, I was using a Native Slayer 13 Propel when I had my truck and although I loved the kayak out on the water it was just too much to move around off the water, even with a cart. It being such a pain to move around was a real deterrent and often I'd just go out on the boat instead. I want this kayak to be easier to load and unload. I'm ok with just using a paddle this time, the peddle drive isn't really that needed for the type of fishing I'm doing and the added weight it gives really makes me say no to that. That is what has me leaning toward the Perception Pescador Pro. It's crazy light compared to the other two. But I love the open layout of the Jackson bite.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorek View Post
I will be car topping this thing! So weight is a major factor. For refernce, I was using a Native Slayer 13 Propel when I had my truck and although I loved the kayak out on the water it was just too much to move around off the water, even with a cart. It being such a pain to move around was a real deterrent and often I'd just go out on the boat instead. I want this kayak to be easier to load and unload. I'm ok with just using a paddle this time, the peddle drive isn't really that needed for the type of fishing I'm doing and the added weight it gives really makes me say no to that. That is what has me leaning toward the Perception Pescador Pro. It's crazy light compared to the other two. But I love the open layout of the Jackson bite.
Jeff on here uses a universal cart with balloon wheels upside down on trunk and slides his PDL onto the roof of his car roof rack. Slick trick for sure! I fished all this week in this insane wind and can not even fathom fishing out of a paddle yak in wind. Just does not compute!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

That sounds awesome! Is there any pictures of that contraption anywhere so I can check it out ?? Does anyone know anyone here that uses any of the kayaks I mentioned?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in