Fishing Line Type - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Trigger

Question Fishing Line Type

Disclaimer: incoming wall of text, and yes, Iíve googled and searched the forums. Mostly curious if this sounds feasible, '15 will be my last year here and I want to make the most of my saltwater fishing. I'd like to load the best type of line (not necessarily brand) on my reels. I do a fair amount of inshore and recently started going to the nearshore reefs a lot (50'-65' depth), trolling on the way there. I've heard many rail against trying to have do it all combos and I want to have optimal inshore, trolling and bottom fishing setups without respooling every weekend.

So I have slowly but surely expanded my gear collection up to 4 rod/reel setups for saltwater, and narrowly survived my wife's repeated accostings and now have a Penn Fierce 4000, 5000, 6000 and a Spinfisher V 4500. Problem is I've got a hodgepodge of lines of various types and tests on because I had no clue what I was doing. It's the time of year when my fishing starts slowing down a lot and I'm thinking about what I want to respool them with for next spring.

My thoughts are:
My Fierce 4000 and Spinfisher 4500 will be on light/med rods and spooled with braid for inshore stuff and on my trips into the Gulf can be used as sabiki rods for catching bait. Fluorocarbon seems to be dropping a lot in price. I might pick up a spool of 15lb test fluoro to keep 10' leaders on for working artificials for trout/reds in flats when they're feeling shy. Otherwise, I rarely mess with fluoro (used it fly-fishing for trout, bream and bass a few times, but that's it), and to be honest, I've caught most of my inshore fish on live or cut bait on store-bought rigs with braided steel leaders or plain 10-15lb test mono, so I can't attest to fluoro being all that important when using live or cut bait inshore. It's unlikely I'll be trolling with these two reels, so I shouldn't need too much stretch in my line. Big reasons I want mono for those two: I've noticed my mono lines tend to get horrible memory in the line every time I have to fight an overslot red or surprise stingray, and it's nice being able to cast a little farther.

Now, this puts me at around 300 yards of line on the spool with 20lb braid. Short of a shark, inshore I'm covered. Is this enough line to drop baits down around 60' when fishing over the reefs without getting spooled when trying to haul reef fish up from down there? All the reef fish I've caught have been small (under 20") and seemed like an almost entirely vertical only fight (no strong lateral runs).

That leaves my Penn Fierce 5000 and 6000, both on med/heavy rods:
I have read a dozen different people saying how braid is horrible for trolling due to the line not stretching and hooks being pulled from fish when they're making sudden runs. I haven't had an issue with this and found out after I'd already been using it for trolling for kings on my 6000. However, I figure I might as well listen to people's advice and prevent it from happening next year. Both of those will most likely have mono. Switching to mono makes me concerned about getting spooled with a larger fish on. I have seen fish as small as a 31' king pull half my line off my 5000. I don't know much line your average dolphin, BFT or sail is expected to pull since I've never hooked up with one of those species. My 5000 only holds 220yds/15lb mono and that sounds awfully short for anything besides small kings and dolphin. Am I just being paranoid?
boomyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Hmmmm...that one post was more thought than I've put into fishing line in a decade lol.

You said it yourself..."I haven't had an issue..." with the current setup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Personally, I use 15lb mono on a shimano 4000 and 40 lb braid on a Penn 6000 for trolling. I do not hesitate to drop a line out on my smaller inshore rods (10# mono) while offshore.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
Hmmmm...that one post was more thought than I've put into fishing line in a decade lol.
Maybe it's something to do with seeing all these nice sunny days and being at work instead of on the water. A Cabin fever of the fishing type I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Yup...lol
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Trigger

I bring 4 setups with me:
-Shimano Saros 4k: Spooled with 20lb braid. I'll use this to sabiki, cast at stuff, and some light bottom bumping.
-Release SG: 50lb braid and always a fluoro leader. I have this on a Shimano Trevala and its my dedicated bottom setup.
-Avet SX: 50lb braid with 100yd 30lb mono topshot on a tiger stik. Works great as my trolling rig
-Battle 6k: This is the all around setup. 40lb braid on tiger stik lite, I use it to pitch baits, troll, bottom fish, etc...

All my setups do what they're supposed to and I don't have any problems.
GAjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Trigger

Guess I need to plus up on my bottom dropping and braid lines. I've gone thru a lot of tackle the last three trips to bottom spots and I was using mono mainline with 18" steel leaders and still getting broke off on the drop, before even feeling I had a hit half the time.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
RMS
Grouper

I'm a huge fan of braid.
The only rigs I have with mono are my heavier trolling rigs (30wides) as top shots used at the edge and beyond where wahoo and such are targeted.
Everything else short of that has braid, often with flouro leaders.
I think braid is fine for nearshore trolling as long as the rods are not broomsticks and the drag is kept on the lighter side.

I think your problem with mystery break offs while bottom fishing could be your steel leaders. If they are stainless or have brass swivels, the mackerel will bite the swivels, cutting you of at the mainline connection.
I recommend black swivels and flouro leaders for bottom fishing. A king or cuda or shark will occasionally bite through the flouro when eating your bait, but most of the time reef fish won't touch a bait on a steel leader.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
I think your problem with mystery break offs while bottom fishing could be your steel leaders. If they are stainless or have brass swivels, the mackerel will bite the swivels, cutting you of at the mainline connection.

I recommend black swivels and flouro leaders for bottom fishing. A king or cuda or shark will occasionally bite through the flouro when eating your bait, but most of the time reef fish won't touch a bait on a steel leader.
I had never thought about the fish going after the swivels. Picked up some black ones (nickel plated I think?) Do you put the egg weight above the swivel and run a non-slip loop knot to be able to swap out leaders and hooks?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomyak View Post
I had never thought about the fish going after the swivels. Picked up some black ones (nickel plated I think?) Do you put the egg weight above the swivel and run a non-slip loop knot to be able to swap out leaders and hooks?
How I rig from top to bottom:
Egg weight, red bead (to protect knot), swivel, leader, hook. I use the spro swivels and love em. They are very small but strong. They go from 35-230 lbs. They're like a nickel-ish color and I've never had em bitten off.
GAjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Sailfish

You clearly put in a lot of thought! I'd use 20lb braid on the 4k and 4.5k, maybe 40lb on the other two.

I agree with GAJohn, don't use wire leaders unless targeting kings. Use the lightest flouro leaders you can get away with. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tkh329 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in