First time out in the Yak - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By onemorecast
  • 5 Post By 60hertz

Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default First time out in the Yak

Just bought a used Perception Pescador Sport 12 last week and took it out for the first time today. Launched at Johnson's Beach this morning and paddled around with no luck hooking up with anything. Took the Yak out of the water for lunch and launched from Blue Angel Rec Center all the way up to Dupont point. Didn't hook up with any fish but I had a blast out on the water. Can't wait to take it out again next weekend. Does anyone have any spots they can recommend exploring? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
First time out in the Yak-kayak-jpg  
derek0adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Grouper

Nice pic!!! You'll him up soon!!
derek0adams likes this.
onemorecast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecast View Post
Nice pic!!! You'll him up soon!!

Thanks! I hope so to. Iím just picking fishing back up as a hobby and this was my first time attempting to fish from a Kayak. There were some lessons learned but I really enjoyed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Sailfish

Someone shared the following with me, and now I'll share again with you (and anyone else that takes the time to read this):

1) Keep a log book. It can be some fancy app (Fishbrain) or just a simple notebook. I started with writing down notes in a notebook. Things like tidal movement, air temp, water temp, baits used, fish caught, areas I fished, etc... After a while, you should start seeing patterns (both good and bad) and this will help you refine your trips

2) Use google earth to help plan a trip. Look for contours, drop offs, sand bars, points, and creek mouths. Have a plan A and plan B so that when the weather guessers are wrong you're not miserable.

3) Lures - topwater at first light, suspending lures when the from around 8:30 until lunch, then soft plastics on a jig head when the sun is high. Of course, there may be deviations from this rule but as a noobie you'll have decent results using this plan. You'll need two colors of each lure - topwater I like white, or bone colored, and then something darker like black or something; same for the suspending baits - I like mirrodines and use the bone colored and the all black. For soft plastics I use the Mirrolure "golden bream" color and the clear with silver and black glitter. in DOA soft plastics I'll use chartreuse with silver glitter and avocado with red glitter.

If lures aren't working, remember that everything eats shrimp!

4) lose the "jewelry" - learn to tie your leader directly to your mainline and your lure to your leader. Don't use a lot of swivels and stuff - inshore fish in clear water will respond negatively.

5) Water temps - as the days get shorter and the water gets cooler you'll need to focus on areas with dark or muddy bottoms like tidal creeks, bayous, and basins. When the days get longer and water warms up then move into the bays and sound.

6) Have fun! Enjoy being out and don't get discouraged - keep the log book and quickly you'll figure out what's going on.

While there are probably many exceptions to what I've said above, I do believe that it's a solid and proven plan.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60hertz View Post
Someone shared the following with me, and now I'll share again with you (and anyone else that takes the time to read this):

1) Keep a log book. It can be some fancy app (Fishbrain) or just a simple notebook. I started with writing down notes in a notebook. Things like tidal movement, air temp, water temp, baits used, fish caught, areas I fished, etc... After a while, you should start seeing patterns (both good and bad) and this will help you refine your trips

2) Use google earth to help plan a trip. Look for contours, drop offs, sand bars, points, and creek mouths. Have a plan A and plan B so that when the weather guessers are wrong you're not miserable.

3) Lures - topwater at first light, suspending lures when the from around 8:30 until lunch, then soft plastics on a jig head when the sun is high. Of course, there may be deviations from this rule but as a noobie you'll have decent results using this plan. You'll need two colors of each lure - topwater I like white, or bone colored, and then something darker like black or something; same for the suspending baits - I like mirrodines and use the bone colored and the all black. For soft plastics I use the Mirrolure "golden bream" color and the clear with silver and black glitter. in DOA soft plastics I'll use chartreuse with silver glitter and avocado with red glitter.

If lures aren't working, remember that everything eats shrimp!

4) lose the "jewelry" - learn to tie your leader directly to your mainline and your lure to your leader. Don't use a lot of swivels and stuff - inshore fish in clear water will respond negatively.

5) Water temps - as the days get shorter and the water gets cooler you'll need to focus on areas with dark or muddy bottoms like tidal creeks, bayous, and basins. When the days get longer and water warms up then move into the bays and sound.

6) Have fun! Enjoy being out and don't get discouraged - keep the log book and quickly you'll figure out what's going on.

While there are probably many exceptions to what I've said above, I do believe that it's a solid and proven plan.

Thanks for the insight! Iím looking forward to the warmer weather. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in