First Day in new Kayak.---EVER---- - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 06-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Smile First Day in new Kayak.---EVER----

Me and my son set out today 6/26/18 with me in my new Sun Dolphin Boss SS Kayak. We set out from Navarre Beach Park at 5:30 am.
I must admit, it was pretty tough on this 56 year old man.
It was tough getting out the first time thru the breakers which were not big by any standard. The current sure seemed strong or my kayak is a barge because the drift or current was caring us west toward the pier. I made sure I stayed at least 400 yards out so pier rats wouldn't ding me. I had zero luck catching any live bait on my sabiki rod and it soon turned into a birds nest cluster mess. My new live bait tube was a sure drag on my paddle speed, so I kept it onboard. I did at least catch a Remora on a drifting Ballyhoo rig...
It seemed like a day of constant paddling to keep away from the pier than a day of fishing.
AND OF COURSE I GOT FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN AND BROKE 1 ROD ON MY WAY BACK IN AS ALL NEW KAYAKER SHOULD BE. I filled that new kayak with 50lbs of water. The heat index got up to 105 degrees around noon. My kayak cart was strapped piss poor on my catamaran style kayak and fell off twice while reloading. My kayak seemed like 200 lbs trying to drag it back to the truck through the thick sand. Loading my kayak back up on the ladder racks with new cam buckles and straps took forever.
All and all I must say........I LOVED EVERY STINKING MOMENT OF IT.
I got to go kayaking with my son in beautiful Navarre, Florida.
We made a father-son memory that will be passed on and retold for generations.
I can't wait to do it again...................I just pray the current isn't always so strong or this old guy is getting an electric trolling motor..lo lol
HughG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

That is what it's all about my friend. Memories are for a lifetime and not just the moment. It also helps when you can laugh at yourself along with the others laughing at you. Glad you spent time on the water with your son. That is the reward. Catching fish is just the bonus!
Fishing Grandpa likes this.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Mingo

Great attitude with the story Hugh. I think you would find it just as fun and less work, to spend a morning or evening fishing the sound in Navarre.
I am a little older than you and I need help to get my little( 8' sit in) out of my van and down to the water. Wish I could get my 3 grown children to go fish with me.
Glad you made some memories today!
Fishing Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Sailfish

Your first trip out was in the gulf? Grandpa has some good advice on fishing on the sound side. Glad you made some good memories. I'm starting to get the yak bug myself.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Trigger

two kinds of kayak fishermen, those who have been turtled and those will !
fishheadspin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Great story. About to experience my first gulf kayak trip as well!
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Snapper

Hang in there, it gets easier as you learn little tricks, here are few that made gulf kayaking more tolerable:
Never deadlift the weight of the yak, always have one end held by the ground or a friend. So, to load on top of an SUV, you lift one end and rest it on the roof, then slide the other end up and onto the roof.

The only wheels worth having are the balloon style wheels, commonly made by Wheelez. Wheels that look like little tires from a power wheels wont work in this sand.

Its easier to push your wheeled yak on the sand than it is to pull it.

To come in through surf, get out and swim the yak in. Too easy to flip otherwise.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Good Advice...But I've got the FEVER to catch a big King Mackerel.. Never had in the 2 years I've lived here. I just don't expect a king in the sound side.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Default Gotta catch a king first.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Grandpa View Post
Great attitude with the story Hugh. I think you would find it just as fun and less work, to spend a morning or evening fishing the sound in Navarre.
I am a little older than you and I need help to get my little( 8' sit in) out of my van and down to the water. Wish I could get my 3 grown children to go fish with me.
Glad you made some memories today!
Good Advice...But I've got the FEVER to catch a big King Mackerel.. Never had in the 2 years I've lived here. I just don't expect a king in the sound side.
HughG is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Hugh, let me tell you, I am inspired. I've been worried to death that I have no business going out there. I'll be down in mid July and I'm really wanting to get after the Kings and Spanish. I'm 48, back surgeries and all sorts of other aches and pains, but I'm gonna try it myself. Can't wait to get down there. Hopefully the weather cooperates. You young bucks need to form and Old Kayaker babysitting class and take guys like Hugh and I out, teach us a few things!
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in