Destin Bridge 12/29/2009 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Destin Bridge 12/29/2009

Was able to get out right during slack tide and immediately hooked up. Captain Blake was out there with some clients and he was kind enough to take the picture. Once the tide started coming in the bite really started heating up, however it wasdifficult to stay ahead of the current as it started getting very strong. I managed to pull in three more reds each one bigger than the next. The last red was about 34" and about dragged me all the way back to Dewey Destin's along with the tide. I was almost ready to call it a day butI decided to give it one more try. I paddled north against the current infront of the bridge and before I knew it I was just about wrapped around the pylon and I had to push myself free. My line got snagged around the pylon and the current kept pushing me back. I was about ready to just flip my bail open and let the current spool me because I nearly flippedmy kayak. Fortunately, I broke off and hurried myself back home. This was my first time bridge fishing in the kayak and it was quite an experience! Any advice about the tides and at what point I should go with my kayak would be appreciated. I am assuming thatthe first six hours of incoming tide is the hardest and then it probably peaks and becomes manageable all the way to high tide... yes or no?
theflyingburritto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Destin Bridge 12/29/2009

Bridges, inlets, and anywhere else that funnels tidal flow through a restricted amount of space can get sticky. You kept yourself upright and managed to catch fish, so I'd say you did alright. Try focusing on the down-tide side next time. As water approaches from up-tide it will be speeding up, once it passes the restricted area it slows down again. You won't have to fight the current as hard and have less to worry about impending doom. Also, fish tend to stage on the down-tide side of structures and face into the current, waiting for food to get flushed to them. By trolling/fishing down-tide, your baits/lures are usually in the strike zone longer.

Thanks for the report,

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Mingo

when you say "down-tide" side do you mean the north side and just cast towards the bridge instead of dropping and drifting through it with the tide? I guess that would make much more sense.I noticed most of my strikes really did come as i passed the last pylon drifting back.
theflyingburritto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
theflyingburritto (12/31/2009)when you say "down-tide" side do you mean the north side and just cast towards the bridge instead of dropping and drifting through it with the tide? I guess that would make much more sense.I noticed most of my strikes really did come as i passed the last pylon drifting back.

That is correct. Drifting through the pilings isn't a bad thing, as long as you can control your drift. Playing bumper cars with pilings isn't fun for very long. It's just something you will have to adjust according to conditions you find out there.

Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Grouper

My advice to you is to get a hobie. I have fished that bridge with the tide moving full blast but you can pedal and stay in one place and still fish. You could also anchor just like a boat would....One thing i have found that works well is going in the middle part where the channel is and wedging up against the wood pillings there and throwing one leg up on them so it holds me in place...the middle is the best spot to fish but you dont see boats fish it because it is illegal to anchor in the channel. Good Luck and nice catch!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Sailfish

All good info.A trolley anchor rigged on your kayak is a good thing to have as well if you plan on anchoring.Every trip is a learning experience and like said above, you caught fish and didn't flip - a good trip:clap ~L
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in