Cold weather kayak fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Cold weather kayak fishing

Hey all. This'll be my first fall/winter fishing from my yak. Got a predator 13 back in July and LOVE IT. What makes for the best wardrobe in cold weather (budget friendly)? I have lots of underarmour cold gear tops, but what else might be a good idea?
Drone82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Grouper

The best thing I have for me any ways is a pair of knee high waterproof Chota boots. Keeps my tooties nice and dry and warm.
Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post
The best thing I have for me any ways is a pair of knee high waterproof Chota boots. Keeps my tooties nice and dry and warm.
Ditto. Love my Chotas! Next, waterproof pants if you're gonna be sitting in water as I was last season in my Outback. Have a Pro Angler now that has an elevated seat so I stay dry. Next, something to keep your head warm. Then something to keep your hands warm. I've had days where I called it quits because I could no longer crank my reel.
mystic fishermen likes this.
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I've been looking at the Predator 13. You take it in the gulf? Does it handle it well, or do you pretty much keep to the bays? I'll need to google up Chotas. Sold anywhere or just at speciality shops? Thx.
clynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

LOVE my predator. I'm 6'4" 280lbs and I feel safe on it standing up! Haven't gone in the gulf yet at all. Gonna wait till it warms back up for that, mostly so I have the wind at by back coming back in lol. Been staying around the big lagoon area mostly, putting in at johnsons. Paddles great, but it is wide. Also I think I need to put more weight up front to bring the bow keel down into the water, otherwise, she tends to wander a bit. Getting ready to MacGyver up a rudder.

I was leaning towards long johns and underarmour hold gear under chest waders and a jacket. I have stuff to keep my head warm. I'm mostly torn on how to keep my feet/hands warm.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

when i used to yak i would where my booties and gloves that i use for surfing when its cold or in cold places they will keep your feet and hands warm even if u fell in the water or had to dip ya hands in to grab fish witch is common as for your body its just prefence and how wet u think u will get just my two-cents
mystic fishermen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Mingo

Chotas are sold at Pensacola Kayak and Sail
wronggear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Grouper

You need to keep your feet warm and butt dry. The air temp is one thing, but cold water is not your friend. I have a pair of wind and water proof paddling pants that keep water intrusion to a minimum and a pair of Chotas to stay dry. I layer up top using a lot of wicking fabric stuff. I avoid cotton. Lastly, you will want a top to keep the wind and water off. Gloves, hat, etc.

Finally, wear your PFD, even if you don't usually wear it when it's warm. Hypothermia from an unexpected dunking can kill you quicker than you think...
FLSalomon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

All good thoughts. Problem I have is budget. I have a hand-me-down pair of chest waders and plenty to layer under it. I have a few jackets that will probably work but aren't designed for it.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #10
Grouper

I usually wear some thermal layers under jeans and cover with a chest high pair of waders. You'll want a wading belt on the outside to prevent water from filling them up in case you flip or wind up swimming somehow. And a nice windproof/waterproof jacket
Bo Keifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in