Catching Fiddlers - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Kenneth
Grouper

Default Catching Fiddlers

When I lived in Jacksonville, NC I could go out on a sand flat at about sundown and scoop up as many fiddler crabs as I could possibly want. I've found one place in Pensacola that has them sporadically but never in any numbers. Does any one here catch their own and where do ya find them. I've kayaked in most of the bayous and looked on every mud/sand flat I come upon and just don't ever see them.
keperry1182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Trigger

In the warmer months, they're on banks everywhere, you can scoop them up by the dozen. When it gets cold, I rarely see them. I always assumed they're hibernating underground so if you were after them, you'd have to dig to find them. Never tried it though.
jonscott8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

On sunny days I have found them around areas that have a sulphur smell. There were some on the sound side of Ft Pickens.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Kenneth
Grouper

Where do bait shops get them? I've heard they're near impossible to farm
keperry1182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I think that the guy that has the shop on Avalon Blvd. catches them. I have seen their burrows around the boat ramp over in Santa Rosa. When it's cold you aren't as likely to find any. Even in summer I have never seen the numbers here that I used to see on Flagler Beach.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I have been able to catch them on warm sunny days over at Live Oaks in Gulf Breeze. One tactic that I picked up in Virginia was when the tide was at it's lowest, I bury a 2 gallon bucket to the rim and put a piece of cut bait or bread in the bottom of the bucket. As the tide starts to rise, the fiddlers will go after the bait in the bucket and then not be able to get out. just make sure to retrieve the bucket before the tide comes up and fills your bucket.
Heaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #7
Fish assassin
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaver View Post
I have been able to catch them on warm sunny days over at Live Oaks in Gulf Breeze. One tactic that I picked up in Virginia was when the tide was at it's lowest, I bury a 2 gallon bucket to the rim and put a piece of cut bait or bread in the bottom of the bucket. As the tide starts to rise, the fiddlers will go after the bait in the bucket and then not be able to get out. just make sure to retrieve the bucket before the tide comes up and fills your bucket.
That's a tough game to play when you've got 1 high a day, and it's only a 6" swing from the low. It's not like the east coast where you've got two highs a day, and a good 6' swing or more. Tides exist here, but they sure aren't much to talk about.
Boboe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in