Anna maria Island - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flydoc

Old 06-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Anna maria Island

Heading to AMI for vacation in a month and I'm hauling the yak and my fishing gear along...plan on getting a couple hours in every morning before the rest of the clan wakes up.

Has any of our pff members here ever fished there? Google maps makes that bay to the east of it look super fishy! I've done tons of research online and found a lot of info for the bay and gulf side of the island that was very helpful.

Just wandering if maybe anyone on here has first hand experience of the areas that would be willing to share some pointers or just their expereience.
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

My 1st stop would be the beach early-- should be snook within 10 ft of the sand. Small white streamers or jigs will work. Off the north end where the channel is deep tarpon,smacks,bonita.

SE of the ICW 64 bridge reds and trout and the docks for nitetime snooks.

Lots of yak water on the west shore of Sarasota Bay and off the beaches.
Shark Sugar likes this.
flydoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Snapper

Thank you flydoc that's a lot of good info! I did hear that big snook will cruise the beaches this time of year...I know they'll be out of season but would still be fun to catch and snap a picture since I've never seen one

As far as white streamers is that just a lure like a small duster? Or is that a baitfish...sorry I'm not familiar with that area at all, I'm limited to the panhandle gulf for knowledge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Trigger

I'll second what flydoc said about the snook on the beach. When I used to live down that way I liked a pearl colored fluke on the beach for snook. Wade out to betwee ankle and knee deep and cast parallel to the beach. If you go out to your waist the fish will be behind you. You can try to site fish for them but they blend in really well and can be very difficult to see, especially in low light. As far as the inshore stuff it's basically the same as up here. Fish the grass flats with your favorite pinfish, shrimp, or greenback imitation and you should get trout, reds, and snook.

I know there's also some pretty good tarpon fishing down there but I can't really help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watergator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

SS -- I fish the long rod with flys... Clousers,deceivers, wolly buggers in white with crystal flash or white jigs as light as possible. As said cast parallel to the beach rather than out. Snook are lazy and want the stunned baitfish that crash the sand in the wave.

If you want nonstop snook hit Venice inlet at nite on incoming tide around the lighted boat docks. They boil the surface and hit anything white. 20-30 fish are common if your arms hold out. C&R of course.... PM for specifics... GL
flydoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Snapper

Thanks flydoc...I'll send you a pm. Getting a lot of good info here guys I really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in