(2)PA14 Trailer advise and loading options - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
Grouper

Default (2)PA14 Trailer advise and loading options

Need trailer for two Hobie PA 14's. It needs to be able to travel distances, 600 mile round trips 12 times a year minimum. Please advise on what I should look for ie axle, hubs, springs ect ect Average load 500lbs total. Also would I be better off with a jet ski type trailer or a flat utility trailer I could modify? PS If any one has any great ideas for loading two Hobie PA14's in a 2013 F150 Supercrew with 5 ft bed and a bed extender please advise, thanks
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

As you know PA's are a beast to load, so putting two on a bed extender will be quite a chore. But I do imagine it is doable. With that said I believe a utility trailer with 4 - 4" pvc runners would be your best bet!
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Here is a rough idea.
Attached Thumbnails
(2)PA14 Trailer advise and loading options-83522f6b18fab1afb08d0b873481c786-jpg  
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Grouper

Thanks for the responses. I have put two in the truck , not much fun. I was hoping someone had an ingenious idea on how to stack or load side by side safely possibly with a home made rack or something similar. I also do not want to purchase a trailer will be problematic at highway speeds for long hauls. So I am looking for hints on axles, hubs, and manufacturers all the thing required to purchase a decent trailer/
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Trigger

Modified boat or jet ski trailer would be my first suggestion however I am not sure what your fab skills are. They can be picked up pretty cheap and parts available anywhere you go (Walmart is always open)...utility trailer would cost a bit more, not galvanized and wouldn’t imagine backing down into water being easy...however, if big enough you could put yaks side by side and have some storage space maybe...also have a utility trailer for anything else you may need it for later...think about locking everything down also..Incas you have to be away from them for any reason...I would really stay away from any home built trailer (axles, frame, etc)....far as axle size, 2500lb would’ve more than plenty...I’d recommend nothing smaller than 15” wheels and a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Sailfish

Eddie English will build you an extremely roadworthy trailer you can haul anywhere- they’ll configure it to perfection and your PA’s will sit nicely.

I can’t quote his price, but it was around $900.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Sailfish

I built this from a Jon boat trailer that i already had - Eddie supplied the cross bars and uprights.

And, FWIW, I’ve towed a kayak on one of these converted Jon boat trailers several times between Pensacola and Corpus Christi with zero problems. No different than a regular boat trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
(2)PA14 Trailer advise and loading options-a76d5a80-d770-49c6-a053-58acb735309c-jpg  

Last edited by 60hertz; 03-06-2018 at 09:21 PM.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in