12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default 12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita

After working in the lab almost all night and all morning I decided I needed a break to hear some drag screaming. I got the yak in at Navarre Beach about noonish with a light NW wind and almost glassy conditions. I managed to find a flock of birds approx 1mile due South of the old pier and started casting into the bonita boiling all over the place. 2nd cast through the school and it was on, my first bobo from the kayak. I was able to get 3 total from the school before they finished decimating the bait they were on and disappeared. I also bounced a jig around the old pier but nothing happened.

Almost like glass

Bobo #1, only about 5lbs but loads of fun on 10# test with light drag.

Here's what they were eating. The 1st fish coughed up a bunch of tiny larval fish all over my lap.

Bobo #2

Bobo #3

Old and new piers

Alex,
Attached Thumbnails
12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2149-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2151-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2152-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2154-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2155-jpg  

12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2156-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2157-jpg   12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita-cimg2158-jpg  
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: 12-29-2009: Navarre Beach Bonita

Great catch... what do you do with them? Don't most people use them for bait because they are so bloody?
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Always fun to fight and admittedly they are one of my favorites to target on light tackle from the kayak.

Thanks for sharing Alex
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Where did all of those buildings come from? When I lived there, the only thing around was the pier and a few buildings further west and then nothing for a long way. Of course, that was 1964.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
captken (12/29/2009)Where did all of those buildings come from? When I lived there, the only thing around was the pier and a few buildings further west and then nothing for a long way. Of course, that was 1964.

Ain't that always the way.

Quote:
choppedliver (12/29/2009)Great catch... what do you do with them? Don't most people use them for bait because they are so bloody?

I released all of them today. I'll keep a couple early next year to use as shark bait. I've eaten them before and think they are great. They're basically a mini-tuna, just soak the meat out in a large bowl of ice water for a couple hours before you cook it.

An issue of Florida Sportsman a few years ago had a couple really good recipes for cooking them. I don't remember which issue but if you do a search on their website you'll probably find it.

Alex
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Grouper

Now that looks fun. I think I'm game for Friday
Private Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
Trigger

I see you have a white bucktail on. Do you just use a fast retrieve with it? Any other good lures/methods?
Turbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Congrats on the Bonita,I was surf fishing yesterday andI could seeyouout thereatNavarre Beach, right smack in the middle of a school ofBonita. Nothing at allwas biting in the surf,:bangheadnow Ireally wish that I hadgone kayakfishing instead. Thanks for the post and pictures. Might try this weekend if the surf conditions are still calm.
YaknFish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Grouper

<SPAN lang=EN>

Good job on the bobos and it is always fun to catch them on light tackle. I like using an ultra light to catch them. It looks like the Navarre pier is coming along good its moved a ways out since I have been there I wonder how much more they plan to take it out.
Brandonshobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Sailfish

Yaknfish2, were you the guy with rods on either side of the old pier or farther East in front of the park?

Quote:
Turbow (12/29/2009)I see you have a white bucktail on. Do you just use a fast retrieve with it? Any other good lures/methods?

I also tried a 1/2oz silver casting spoon but they didn't even look at it. I think the bobos were keyed into a search image for things much smaller since that's what they were eating. Even the bucktails I was throwing were bigger than the larval fish they were coughing up. I guess the spoon was just way too big. A small fish-shaped fly would have matched the hatch perfectly. One of these days I need to get into flyfishing.

I have bucktails in a wide variety of colors, the plain white was what I had tied on at the moment. They probably would have hit other colors but I figured stay with what works. The other times I've gotten into bobos from the beach or from friends' boats I also happened to have a bucktail tied on so I stay with what I've caught them on before. I was using a fast jigging retrieve, bouncing it from the surface to about 5ft down.

Brandon, I'm going to downsize to 6lbs mono next time.

Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in