Zeiss or Leopold scope ?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Zeiss or Leopold scope ??

Im down to either geting a Zeiss Conquest or a Leopold VX2 or 3.. I'm not wanting to spend more then 600.00 on a scope and both of these scopes are around 500.00 at Bass Pro.. Any of yall own a Zeiss or a Leopold that can give me somefeedback on them??? and if you had to pick a scope which one of the 2 above would you get ?? or is there a better hunting scope I can get for the same money ?? thanks !!
halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Zeiss or Leopold scope ??

Zeiss if you have the money for the good one with the better glass in it. I think they run about 800. Leupold is hard to beat for the price though. I have had a VX II for as long as I can remember and also bought a VXIII about 5 years ago and I cant complain about a single thing. Both still have really good clarity and work fine. One thing I would suggest is getting the heavy duplex cross hairs, where is extra thick on the outside and get smaller once you get closer to the middle. My dad has this set up on one of his scopes and it makes finding the cross hairs in low light situations so much easier. Both are excellent scopes though.
Huntinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
bms
Trigger

Zeiss Conquest hands down!!!! Have done field tests with both side by side and Zeiss is better in every category.
bms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Snapper

I have owned both and sold the lesser, kept the Zeiss. Hands down it is the better scope ! My best advise is to borrow one of each and look through them both side by side at low light- you will then see the CLEAR difference for yourself. During full light, there is hardly any difference between them, but once that sun gets low you will be able to sit longer with the Conquest with no problem at all.
beulahboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Grouper

I have hade both the Conquest and the VX3...they are very close to me. If you go to Mike's or Outcast I"m sure you can take them outside and look thru both and see what one you like the best!! I'd go close to dusk just so you can see witch one gathers more light for your eye!
chasin-tail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

If leupold offered a 4A reticle I'd start buying them again. Since they don't I've switched to Zeiss and Meopta's. The reason I like the leupold is because I've had a varix 3 on my .270 for over 10years and I've haven't had to adjust it one single time since sighting it in the 1st time. It is dead on everytime I shoot it.

I think the reticle hunting man is talking about is the 4A or 4 reticle. I wouldn't get heavy duplex. It will greatly reduce your accuracy at long range. The center of the duplex is heavy to and covers up to much target at long range.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Sailfish

Zeiss
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Trigger

The main thing that you have to be worried about is the end of legal shooting light, which generallyends before it's actually too dark to see, doesn't matter what scope you have then. Two buddies of mine find that out the hard way a few years ago, it was still light enough for them to see the deer in the crosshairs, but according to the game warden who wrote them the tickets it was past legal shooting time when they pulled the trigger! One of them had a Leupold, BTW
BamaFaninMilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Grand Slam

I've got a Leupold Vari X lll 3.5x10x50 with the heavyduplex on my Stainless Stalker 30/06 and have no complaints at all. Like a poster above said, I've never had to adjust it and it's been on there about 6 years. It's very clear and I can see for as late as I care to hunt.

I don't know how the Zeiss warranty is but I know Leupold stands behind their products very well and they are made in the USA.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Good thread !
Emerald Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in