WMA hikes from parking - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deersniper270

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Trigger

Default WMA hikes from parking

Hi all. I think I found a spot for hogs thats really swampy in escambia but its only 200 yds south of my parking. I will be going out again next Saturday for my last pre season scout and will be making a good day out of it. My boat isn't working at this time so I'll be on foot at Escambia, do I need to move further out, say 1 mile or so either direction of parking or do you guys that hunt escambia/blackwater find that a couple hundred yards are sufficient? Looking @ google maps, it looks really swampy all the way to the south so I know if we get a good rain next week it could change up everything by hunting season but I'm just curious how far I should expect to hike.
advobwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Grand Slam

i dont think hogs care where you go, they roam all over. if you have good sign, check it out.
sure,icanfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
White Marlin

That's plenty of distance to see hogs and deer away from your truck...Just be quiet slipping in and out.
jcoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Trigger

Cool. I'll be going after hogs opening weekend and then deer later on.

One question though since I'm not familiar w/ the hunting etiquette as others are, and always see posts about people coming up on stands. Is slipping out at a certain time a no no in case there are stands around you? I don't want to be the reason a deer or other game is scared away from somebody's stand. This is my first year in the woods so I would rather not learn from an angry hunter with a firearm or bow that I'm breaching some form of hunter's code of conduct I was not aware of....I've seen people take shots at boats and kayaks with heavy sinkers or cobia rigs from a pier so I know how aggressive people can be over spots.
advobwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Chances are, if you're walking in you won't be anywhere near anyone else since most folks in escambia jump in the boat and go a ways off. If you see a truck or boat near where you are, be mindful of them and where ththey may be.
sure,icanfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
White Marlin

I hunt 100yards or less from my truck all the time and see/kill deer. If your truck is hidden from view at ground level and you are 200 yards away I wouldn't worry too much about it. I do always make sure I park up wind of my spot though so they can't smell it.
John B. likes this.
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Just be sure your not hunting on private property. Management area is very close to the river and can be thin- 2 or 3 hundred yards in some places

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
White Marlin

Ultimately there is no set times. I would try to avoid tromping around or scouting at 7:30 or something like that though. There are times you may wanna run out for a quick hunt and gotta be back at the house early or whatever, but that's just part of hunting public land. At least you're being mindful of other hunters - more than what can be said for a lot of people who hunt eglin and/or BW. Keep plenty of orange visible when you're walking!
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in