When to hunt rut? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Try'n Hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Rosa County & Minter AL
Posts: 14,573
Default When to hunt rut?

So Iíve got 1 last hunt before knee surgery. Dallas/Wilcox county. Would you do the 15th -19th, or hold out for the 22nd -26th? Full moon is the 10th. New moon is the 25th
IM4MOPAR likes this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
White Marlin
 
CurDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Homeless
Posts: 2,521
Default

I don't think anyone can definitely say "when" the rut will start. It is starting where I am now, 8pt was following a doe yesterday and wasn't getting too far from her. Does this mean the rut is "on" or "starting"?
It could be in some places and not in others. The rut can be going on hot and heavy in your area, but nothing going on 10 miles away. I'd say put several cameras on several "different" good active scrapes and when the bucks leave them, I'd start taking time off to hunt. Can't stress using several cameras and several different scrapes, just for the fact someone may have got the buck doing a particular scrape and you'll think the rut is starting. g/l
Try'n Hard likes this.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Milton
Posts: 10,578
Default

Every chance I had from now till the end, lol
Try'n Hard likes this.
jaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Outside9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Baker, Florida
Posts: 8,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try'n Hard View Post
So Iíve got 1 last hunt before knee surgery. Dallas/Wilcox county. Would you do the 15th -19th, or hold out for the 22nd -26th? Full moon is the 10th. New moon is the 25th
Reschedule.......

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
chaps likes this.
__________________
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
hjorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,276
Default

Hell man it looks like hot and wet for the next 10 days. Know why? Cause I can hunt those days.
Try'n Hard likes this.
__________________
-------
"Boats are a form of punishment for anything you've done wrong to anyone in your life."
-------
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 12:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pace Florida
Posts: 139
Default

In Coffee and Geneva County seems to be 20th until the end. I haven't had much luck earlier than the 17th
Try'n Hard likes this.
captsef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Try'n Hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Rosa County & Minter AL
Posts: 14,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsef View Post
In Coffee and Geneva County seems to be 20th until the end. I haven't had much luck earlier than the 17th


Thinking the same.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Try'n Hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Rosa County & Minter AL
Posts: 14,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
Hell man it looks like hot and wet for the next 10 days. Know why? Cause I can hunt those days.


Yeah well they gotta breed so it still should be gooder than usual
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Try'n Hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Rosa County & Minter AL
Posts: 14,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurDog View Post
I don't think anyone can definitely say "when" the rut will start. It is starting where I am now, 8pt was following a doe yesterday and wasn't getting too far from her. Does this mean the rut is "on" or "starting"?
It could be in some places and not in others. The rut can be going on hot and heavy in your area, but nothing going on 10 miles away. I'd say put several cameras on several "different" good active scrapes and when the bucks leave them, I'd start taking time off to hunt. Can't stress using several cameras and several different scrapes, just for the fact someone may have got the buck doing a particular scrape and you'll think the rut is starting. g/l


Just trying to guess whether early or later will be best. Original plan was later but it seems to have ďturned onĒ the last week or so. Cameras have crapped out the last week or so so Iíll be going in blind but I know theyíre around including at least three giants
captsef likes this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 02:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze
Posts: 12,486
Default

I'd go later, but what do I know about hunting?
Try'n Hard likes this.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.