Some tracking stats I came across. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree5Likes

Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Some tracking stats I came across.

Below are some tracking stats I came across from a well known tracker on Facebook. He generally posts data every year and there is a full podcast of him explaining his data. What we can get out of this information is make sure you design an arrow set up that can penetrate and have a well tuned bow that actually has great arrow flight. But this data is pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/anc...t-2/e/62226376

Tracking Statistics for the 2017 and 2018 Tracking Seasons (Archery Only)

- We recovered 50% of all tracks that we went on (firearm and archery).

- 58% of our archery tracks were for compound bows and 42% were for crossbows. Compounds had a recovery rate of 53% and crossbows had a recovery rate of 55%.

- 55% of our tracks were for passthrough shots and 45% were for non-passthrough shots. Passthrough shots had a recovery rate of 68% while non-passthrough shots had a recovery rate of only 29%. 79% of fixed broadheads were passthroughs and 44% of mechanical broadheads were passthroughs.

- Crossbow tracks were 0% fixed broadheads and 100% mechanical while compound bow tracks were 53% fixed broadheads and 47% mechanical.

- Fixed broadheads made up 31% of our tracks and mechanical broadheads made up 69%. Recovery rates for fixed were 60% and mechanicals were 47% (Note: Front deploying mechanicals had a 7% better recovery rate than rear deploying mechanicals but rear deploying heads had a 10% better passthrough rate compared to front deploying heads.).

- The average total distance from the shot location to the recovered deer was 487 yards.

- 3 deer were recovered within 50 yards of water but only 1 deer was recovered that we feel intentionally went to water to drink.

- 26% of unrecovered deer were later confirmed "still alive" after tracking (trail cam, visual confirmation, harvested later in the season, etc.).

- The average shot distance for all tracks was 25.9 yards.

- The average age of all tracks was 13.4 hours old.

- Based on each hunter's report and analysis of recovered deer, 85% of all shots impacted the chest or abdominal cavity.

- 31% of shot deer were tracked too soon by the hunter and subsequently, they bumped the deer.

- Our tracking consisted of 80.5% requests for buck recovery and 19.5% requests for doe recovery.

(Updated 11-10-18) It's the peak of tracking season which means I have almost zero free time to edit and post videos of past tracks. As soon as things ease up, I'll resume the uploads. In the meantime, here are a few stats from this season so far.

Tracks: 27
Recoveries: 16
Confirmed Alive After Tracking: 2
Avg. Age of Track: 14.6 hours
Avg. Shot distance: 32.4 yds
Buck Tracks: 76.6%
Doe Tracks: 23.4%
Passthrough Recovery Rate: 75%
Non-Passthrough Recovery Rate: 12.5%
Avg. Advancement of Recovery Tracks: 297 yards
Avg. Advancement of Non-Recovery Tracks: 254 yards
Avg. Recovery Rate for Fixed Broadheads: 57.1%
Avg. Recovery Rate for Mechanicals: 52.9%

Top 3 Reasons for Tracking Request:
- 1) Arrow Penetration (minimal internal damage)
- 2) Tracked too soon/jumped deer
- 3) Shot placement
John B. and Achim2 like this.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; 10-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Snapper

Good info. Those recovery rates are pretty pitiful. One thing not mentioned is that broad heads need to be RAZOR SHARP. Literally. Every man knows what a cut from a new razor does. It cuts veins, arteries and capillaries clean, leaving no jagged edges for blood to clot on. If it won't shave, don't shoot it!
Emerald Ghost likes this.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Sailfish

Good info. Thanks for sharing. May need to go back to fixed broadheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pcola4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I believe the ole "they travel to water when shot"... I have tracked several to creeks or water holes...

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I believe the ole "they travel to water when shot"... I have tracked several to creeks or water holes...
Found one for a buddy floating in a pond the next morning. It was really cold and lucky it hadn't sunk yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Mingo

Good info.
I’ve considered switching to heavy arrow and heavy fixed blade broadheads to increase penetration. This makes me more motivated
bowfisher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Good info, but you need to balance weight as it can effect significant arrow drop.
Have you missed an animal because you misjudged the distance ? I certainly have.

The problem with going too "HEAVY" on overall arrow weight can cost you down range. I shoot a razor sharp fixed arrow that weighs around 420 grains, and I get pass through events on whitetail and elk.
my .02
Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Ghost View Post
Good info, but you need to balance weight as it can effect significant arrow drop.
Have you missed an animal because you misjudged the distance ? I certainly have.

The problem with going too "HEAVY" on overall arrow weight can cost you down range. I shoot a razor sharp fixed arrow that weighs around 420 grains, and I get pass through events on whitetail and elk.
my .02
I have never had a problem with heavy and arrow drop being that bad even when I shot a buck last year at 53 yards with a 640 grain arrow leaving the bow at 240 fps also before I switched from my 5 pin spott hogg to my slider the pin gap wasn't that bad.

What's ironic is through me experimenting with light arrow (350 grains) up to very heavy arrows (743 grains) the heavier the arrow seem to go the more velocity they retained down range. This was verified by just shooting my slighter sight and seeing what ranges the tapes were valid at. With the lightweight arrows the slider tapes would be less accurate on longer ranges and say if something was at 60 yards I would need to dial for 62 or 63 yards. Now with my 640 grain arrow at 90 yards is where I had to dial to about 93 to hit the vitals. The picture below was both arrows shot from 40 yards and used the same pin. The arrow with yellow fletching was 550 grains and the arrow with the green was 640 grains. Blew my mind but I shot the same arrow a few times and the hit like this.

Another problem with too light is it can cost you penetration problems and not getting enough penetration to make it through the animal. This gets seen time and time again with deer here in Florida which is extremely sad. But the biggest factor people never discuss is arrow flight in general which hinders penetration greatly whether
Attached Thumbnails
Some tracking stats I came across.-capture-jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchemall View Post
Good info. Those recovery rates are pretty pitiful. One thing not mentioned is that broad heads need to be RAZOR SHARP. Literally. Every man knows what a cut from a new razor does. It cuts veins, arteries and capillaries clean, leaving no jagged edges for blood to clot on. If it won't shave, don't shoot it!
Yep but also how sharp those blades will stay while going through the animal. It's pretty much a moot point if the blades don't stay sharp while going through the animal. Kind of why I stop shooting slicktricks, ever since the outdoor group bought Slicktrick out in 2014 the blades went to crap. I have never had so many blades break and have severe edge chatter until they bought them out. Before that the blades on the ST actually held up so well you could sharpen then again and use them on another deer.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
Grouper

I switched to the grizzlystik arrows this year Iím at 653 grains with a 200 grain head or 553 with 100 grain broad head they fly great. Now I have to get a new sight my trophy ridge react 7 pin sight wonít work as it has slowed my bowtech realm down to much for the sight. Waiting for my new IQ hunter pro to get here itís a hybrid sight first 2 pins are stationary with the 3rd pin being a floater.. good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HO5TILE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in