Question regurding CCW - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Question regurding CCW

If I am duck hunting and I have my Judge pistol on me loaded with .410 shells for snakes. And of course, I have my CCW licence on me as well. Am I legal??? I know I'm not supposed to have lead shot with me since I'm duck hunting but it's in my CCW pistol... what is the law regarding these circumstances?

Lead, Follow, Or Get The HELL Out Of The Way!!!
Freedom Won is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Grand Slam

What state are you shooting at said ducks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

lol, okay, you should be good so long as your "Duck" gun isn't a .410, if it is, you'll be up the creek. Besides, kinda hard to hit a duck or anything for that matter with a judge using .410 shotshells, the pattern is so wide after a few yards there's no way you'd even hit a flying duck with it.
But if you're hunting with a shotgun, why would you need or want a pistol to shot a snake? Oh, wait a minute mister snake, let me shoulder my shotgun and get my pistol out of it's holster so I can shoot you before you bite me.
I mean if a snake was on top of me, about to strike, I think, no, I know I would shoot it with the gun in hand, my shotgun. And if the snake is far enough away from me where I would have time to swap guns, I'd just let the snake go his way and I'd go my way.
Anyway, take a 12 ga for the ducks and you should be good to go.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Trigger

I was told when duck hunting that you should not possess lead shot in any form. even different size shells for the gun you are carrying. including one shell of buckshot for the occasional hog or deer. This was told to me by a warden, I don't know if that is a hard pressed rule but what I have learned is if you have to in any way explain yourself don't do it. most of the time game rules are pretty clearly black and white if you are in a gray area you will more than likely be the one who ends up unhappy.
lastcast likes this.
bwendel07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettheairout View Post
what state are you shooting at said ducks?

Sent from my sm-n960u using tapatalk
florida

Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurDog View Post
lol, okay, you should be good so long as your "Duck" gun isn't a .410, if it is, you'll be up the creek. Besides, kinda hard to hit a duck or anything for that matter with a judge using .410 shotshells, the pattern is so wide after a few yards there's no way you'd even hit a flying duck with it.
But if you're hunting with a shotgun, why would you need or want a pistol to shot a snake? Oh, wait a minute mister snake, let me shoulder my shotgun and get my pistol out of it's holster so I can shoot you before you bite me.
I mean if a snake was on top of me, about to strike, I think, no, I know I would shoot it with the gun in hand, my shotgun. And if the snake is far enough away from me where I would have time to swap guns, I'd just let the snake go his way and I'd go my way.
Anyway, take a 12 ga for the ducks and you should be good to go.
Yes Sir,,, I get your point, but here in FL. snakes are everywhere and when pre scouting for early teal/wood duck I come upon them all the time,,,. And of course, while hunting (in FL) I come upon them all the time. A pistol is just easy to carry and have ready better than a shotgun which is usually in the boat in the case... I get your point,,, I do believe a 12 ga. will give the exact result as the .410 on any snake, but then again, I never did carry an RPG in while I was clearing rooms neither... get my point... thx
blufire42 likes this.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

IDK guy? But if you're in a boat, why worry about a snake? But to get a legal answer to your question, call FWC @ 888.404.3922 they're open 24/7/365
mitchamafied likes this.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Grand Slam

That's where things went wrong. Instead of clearing the room just use the RPG and have no more room. I would email fwc to be on the safe side. But I'm betting it will be a NO. No lead around water at all

lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
Snapper

The federal regulation by its terms prohibits this because no distinction is made between shotshells in the caliber of your shotgun versus the caliber of your handgun. I just wouldn’t do it, but if it’s a huge concern you could take a different handgun.

50 CFR 20.21:

Migratory birds on which open seasons are prescribed in this part may be taken by any method except those prohibited in this section. No persons shall take migratory game birds:

(j)(1) While possessing loose shot for muzzle loading or shotshells containing other than the following approved shot types. (List of non-toxic shot not included here)

(2) Each approved shot type must contain less than 1 percent residual lead (see 20.134).

(3) This shot type restriction applies to the taking of ducks, geese (including brant), swans, coots (Fulica americana), and any other species that make up aggregate bag limits with these migratory game birds during concurrent seasons in areas described in 20.108 as nontoxic shot zones.
Freedom Won likes this.
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettheairout View Post
That's where things went wrong. Instead of clearing the room just use the RPG and have no more room. I would email fwc to be on the safe side. But I'm betting it will be a NO. No lead around water at all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in