Post Season Pictures Big Boys made it!!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Post Season Pictures Big Boys made it!!!!

I had hoped I or my boys would have another chance next year. And if poachers keep away and he hurries up and looses that rack, we will!!! Any guesses as to what he may score next year? Planting peas and possibly soybean end of the month.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Then we have my 6+ year old. Really would have liked to have him on the wall. Just because I have had him on camera for 3 years!

Last year.

2 years ago

Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
White Marlin

First one should do 135-140, as he stands. If you put the soybeans in and you have adequate rain, he could blow up to 155 or better. If I were you, I would go with the soybeans that don't make beans...just leaves (special strain) and forget about peas. They have the greatest impact on horn growth. Also, make sure you get some minerals in the ground NOW.

Last edited by panhandleslim; 03-30-2015 at 12:36 AM.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Soy will priduce better growrh than Iron Clay or Cow peas? I am new to this. I know they plant em up north and grow giants. What is the difference in the non bean producers and other? Thanks for your response
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Soy will priduce better growrh than Iron Clay or Cow peas? I am new to this. I know they plant em up north and grow giants. What is the difference in the non bean producers and other? Thanks for your response
PHS is referring to forage soybeans like Eagle and Tyrone. They are genetically engineering to produce more plant matter than bean pods. Eagles are crazy expensive ($100+ a bag) but have great regeneration from browsing and are RoundUp ready, so you can have a clean plot. Check with DBW Outdoors (AL) for Eagles...the Large Lad and Southern Managers Mix is what we used with great success in the past.

With plots like cowpeas and regular ag soybeans, the weeds and grasses will quickly overtake the plot if you are not on top of spraying with Clethodim for grass and 2-4D for broadleafs.
bcbz71 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Protein pellets are the way to go and the results will be evident after 1 year with antler mass and body weight. I have never had a drought or weed growth deter a protein pellet in a 55 gallon gravity feeder. I have tried the summer crops and unless you put up a solar powered electric fence around the crop to keep the deer off until plant maturity or pay for the round up ready seed. Then you become a glorified meteorologist watching every shower that could possibly rain over your property during the summer. Mother nature will not affect a gravity feeder. Based from my experience from several attempts at summer crops.
Damascusbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
White Marlin

Default Post Season Pictures Big Boys made it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascusbeach View Post
Protein pellets are the way to go and the results will be evident after 1 year with antler mass and body weight. I have never had a drought or weed growth deter a protein pellet in a 55 gallon gravity feeder. I have tried the summer crops and unless you put up a solar powered electric fence around the crop to keep the deer off until plant maturity or pay for the round up ready seed. Then you become a glorified meteorologist watching every shower that could possibly rain over your property during the summer. Mother nature will not affect a gravity feeder. Based from my experience from several attempts at summer crops.

You have to plant a cover crop that matures faster than beans, like sorghum. Sorghum planted with soybeans will give the deer something to browse on until the beans reach maturity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SouthAlabamaSlayer; 04-04-2015 at 12:18 AM.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Right over the FL line in AL and still walking.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Season Pictures Big Boys made it!!!!-new-spot-deer-11-jpg  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

South AL I'm trying to figure out what a cover crap is. Seems like the scent would deter deer activity.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascusbeach View Post
South AL I'm trying to figure out what a cover crap is. Seems like the scent would deter deer activity.

Crop, pardon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in