Patience and progress - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree25Likes

Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Patience and progress

I bought 32 acres 3 years ago. It was a grown over jungle that you couldn't even walk down the road when I got it. It has been a lot of time, work and money but it is coming together. We are building a little cabin up there, a weekend getaway and it's been a lot of fun doing it all myself and having something to be proud of.

The first year, the plots were new, the deer were leary, corn would often spoil before they ate it. Over the course of the year, I had 10 different bucks coming through regularly, mostly spikes, 4 pts, a old messed up 6 pt and a young 7. Very little daylight movement. I shot one old cowhorn and that was it, I didn't hunt it much, trying to give them time to feel safe. I didn't see my first horn on camera until mid December.

I have been planting both spring and fall, dumping out the cow trace minerals and keeping a little corn around to keep them interested. Year 2, 12 different bucks, 4 8's, 2 6's and the rest were 4 pts or spikes. I didn't hunt but 1 time last year and the daylight movement continued to increase. I'd get a few pics during the summer, no regulars until December.

Now we are into year 3 and my hard work and patience is looking like it is working and paying off. Pretty much daily daylight movement, 3 8's and 2 6's regularly. I've attached a few pictures of the boys. I have gotten pics of them twice in 1 plot and not once in the other. Both places have timed feeders. These tree and pipe feeders are in the hardwoods less than a 100 yards away and they are there daily. It seems with these bucks the proof is in the pudding with the feeder or the pour difference in activity.
Attached Thumbnails
Patience and progress-mfdc6334-jpg   Patience and progress-mfdc6374-jpg   Patience and progress-mfdc6520-jpg   Patience and progress-mfdc6590-jpg   Patience and progress-mfdc6622-jpg  

Patience and progress-mfdc6657-jpg   Patience and progress-mfdc6802-jpg  
Getsome, DLo, Bodupp and 8 others like this.
captsef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Congrats, looks like it's starting to pay off. Good luck on the cabin build, sounds like fun.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Cool!
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Very nice.

By the way, don't plant Sun Hemp in the summer. That stuff is causing me a problem, raps around everything. I have plowed, disc multiple times. Maybe burning would have helped.

Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
captsef likes this.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Mingo

Here is some of the cabin project. I cut some logs on the property and pull them out with my old trusted SUV and had my buddy come up with is portable saw mill and paid him to mill them into lumber. I cut some pine for 2x4's, cedar for the bedroom and cypress for the outside and bathroom. I just bought the tongue and grooved pine, cheaper and easier. I started with a pole barn and have done everything myself other than I paid to have the spray foam done and I paid a licensed electrician to terminate the box after I ran all the wiring. It's been a project, hopefully get the well drilled soon and get the concrete work done. Pick away at finishing the inside as I have the time.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Mingo

logs, cedar and cypress
Attached Thumbnails
Patience and progress-logs-jpg   Patience and progress-cedar-jpg   Patience and progress-cypress-jpg  
jstblsd likes this.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Mingo

dock I rebuilt and extended down at the river while it was low this summer, the outside of the cabin before I stained the cypress, after it's stained with the mini split ac installed and the pole barn
Attached Thumbnails
Patience and progress-dock-jpg   Patience and progress-outside-cabin-jpg   Patience and progress-outside-ac-jpg   Patience and progress-pole-barn-jpeg  
jstblsd and THE POMPANO KING like this.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Mingo

cypress bathroom, cedar bedroom, t and G pine in the main room
Attached Thumbnails
Patience and progress-bathroom-jpg   Patience and progress-bedroom-floor-jpg   Patience and progress-end-wall-jpg   Patience and progress-main-room-jpg  
Old 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
lees way2
Sailfish

Now that is something to be proud of. Lots of work but when you are done ya can sit back and say yea I did that. Where is your place at.
jstblsd likes this.
lees way2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
White Marlin

Beautiful looking project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in