New crossbow issues - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default New crossbow issues

Upgraded my Horton to an Excalibur micro 335 crossbow. A little harder to cock but main issue is the 16.5Ē bolts. Several forums recommend going with 150 grain heads and thatís what Excalibur recommends. I guess they are not too popular since I finally had to order them from Amazon. Anybody else shoot 150ís. Season opens Tuesday and Iím getting behind!!
Try'n Hard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 06:49 AM   #2
Mingo

Me and the old lady shoot 100 grain and they do great. I've got an excalibur and she's got a barnett.
YELLOWCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I shoot an Excalibur Matrix 355, and I use the 150 grain broad heads/field points. I agree - it is a little difficult finding broad heads, but if that's what the manufacturer recommends - that's what I use. I initially used the bolt cutters from Excalibur, but didn't like the lack of a blood trail. I switched this year to the 150 grain Swacker broad heads, and hope to see better results with the blood trail. Good luck - shoot straight!

--Potsie
Potsieko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 07:07 AM   #4
Sailfish

I have the same setup. I use the 150 grain Excalibur Boltcutter broadheads and they work fine. On mine, you have to adjust the arrow speed setting to match your arrow speed in order for the 30, 40 and 50 yards crosshairs to be accurate, and to get them accurate, I had to set my arrow speed down to a hair over 300 FPS.

Coincidentally the last time I was at Gander Outdoors a couple weeks ago, they had 3 packs of Diablo bolts with built-in Lumenoks on Clearance for about $30. I bought one package and there were 2 left.
PensacolaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Iíve been using the rage 100 grain blades, first with my bow, then when I switched to the crossbow with almost a 100% success rate. Found them in 150 he but itís the two blade which I guess will have to be fine. I almost bought the schwackers but I decided to stick with what has been working. Iíve yet to receive anything in 150 and have made a couple practice shots with the 100s but do not have a target that will stop the bolt. Think Iím just gonna get a bag of sand for the 6 or 7 shots needed to sight it in. After a comparison I replaced the dead zone scope with a 4x Nikon that was way clearer but it lacks the marks for different distances. May be a mistake but itís what Iím used to
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #6
Grouper

I shoot 150 grain broadheads all the time from my bow. What's probably happening is the spine is too stiff on the bolts and adding more weight is allowing the arrow to flex a little more. In reality the best thing to do is get a field point test kit from in multiple weight to see which one flies the best.

Steelforce phathead would be a good broadhead for a crossbow. It's only 145 grains but you won't be able to tell the difference.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; Today at 01:16 PM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #7
Snapper

wow 150gr on 16.5 inch bolts. How far is that thing accurate? My TenPoint has 22 inch bolts and I use 125gr 2-blade rage. It is deadly out to 60 yards consistently.

Good luck!
Payatot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 04:32 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payatot View Post
wow 150gr on 16.5 inch bolts. How far is that thing accurate? My TenPoint has 22 inch bolts and I use 125gr 2-blade rage. It is deadly out to 60 yards consistently.

Good luck!

Havenít really been able to test it since I donít have the 150s yet but with the 100s the fletchings were burying into the target at 50 yds and I had to stop
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #9
Snapper

Default 150s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try'n Hard View Post
Havenít really been able to test it since I donít have the 150s yet but with the 100s the fletchings were burying into the target at 50 yds and I had to stop
That is why I went with 125gr, same punch through and the fly flatter at longer distances.
Payatot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 09:04 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Default New crossbow issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC2 View Post
I shoot 150 grain broadheads all the time from my bow. What's probably happening is the spine is too stiff on the bolts and adding more weight is allowing the arrow to flex a little more. In reality the best thing to do is get a field point test kit from in multiple weight to see which one flies the best.

Steelforce phathead would be a good broadhead for a crossbow. It's only 145 grains but you won't be able to tell the difference.

Iím having a hard time wrapping my head around the importance of spline strength on a 16.5Ē bolt. Iíve never liked anything but an expandable for anything over 250 FPS. Never seen a fixed as accurate as an expandable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in