MN Buck / Ethics - Page 2 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
Breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 3,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure,icanfish View Post
I'd never try it. Sure, if you had a slug barrel with rifle sights, why not. But I wouldn't trust my smooth barrel and BB. I'm glad we don't have shotgun rules down here, I like my rifles.
Mine isnt a slug barrel, its a smooth bore but I use rifled slugs when hunting deer. No rifle sights either. Its bout 45 or 50 years old but shoots like a new gun.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
__________________
"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"Call
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #12
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Brandon_SPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
My buddy from Minnesota messaged me today with a pic of the buck he just shot. Its a nice buck, I'll attach the pic. But as i was looking at the pic I couldn't readily identify the wound, then i noticed a front leg blown off.

Right as I noticed, he followed his message up with "I blew his front leg off". I responded with "WTF, with a deer that big you couldn't find a kill shot?". He then told me that he took a spine shot, then as the deer was trying to get up he blew the leg off. I looked at the pic again and you can clearly see the damage from the spine shot. I personally have never and don't think i would ever take a spine shot, but his kind of shot takes the damn cake for me. You'll notice its a really low spine shot right near the hind quarters. I then asked him why the hell he would take such a shot and he said "100yrd shot with a shotgun...". So, ok... to me its clear. He didn't mean to take the crappy spine shot... he just pointed, prayed, and pulled the trigger.

He's been a good friend of mine for a long time and this is not the first time this kind of thing has come up. Really upsets me. Just totally irresponsible as a hunter and disrespectful to the animal.... in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
Yea, I didn't mean to doubt the capability of a shotgun at 100 yards. He just seems fine taking shots that are out of HIS capability. He's gut shot deer and never found them.. and talks about it like its no big deal. I've never had a bad shot, thank God. But, I do know accidents happen... his just don't seem to be accidents to me. Just taking piss poor shots and being ok with it.
You have never gut shot a deer before? Never lost a deer from either a rifle or a bow? Curious to do you know his ability at shooting a shotgun at 100 yards? I wouldn't point fingers to much because if you hunt long enough you will be in those shoes.
I will personally say I have lost two does during archery and could not find them and have missed gods knows how many with a bow I lost count. I also shot two bucks last year with a .270 one at 205 yards and one at about 80 yards both rounds hit the spine and did not kill the animal. I had to end both with a second shot after getting down and running to them because I could not see them. It wasn't because I am a bad marksman or had a piss poor shot angle, it was because I got to damn shaky and nervous. I know for a fact I can make those shots any day of the week but when you are in the woods day after day then that moment happens all hell breaks loose.
Also 100 yards these days is a chip shot with a shotgun now if your using slugs. Granted you have the right set up.
__________________
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson
Brandon_SPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Njydvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eglin Area
Posts: 174
Default

Yea, I didn't mean to get on here with a stuffy attitude and suggest that if you have ever gut shot deer or taken a bad shot that you're a bad hunter or bad person. As i said i realize accidents happen sometimes, its just with him it seems to be a much more common theme than anything else. What bothers me most about his actions is not that he has taken bad shots but speaks of them with no indication of that being an unwanted thing. If i had taken a gut shot or for some damn reason blown a leg off a deer i sure as hell wouldn't take it lightly. And no, i've never gut shot an animal or had any bad hits. I'm thankful for that and realize that I've been very lucky. I've hunted primarily with Bow sense i was 14 years old and have been out all but a few years. I'm 34 now. In those years of hunting I've walked away from many seasons with no kill because I wouldn't take shots that had a high risk of just wounding the animal.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
jcoss15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 3,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
Yea, I didn't mean to doubt the capability of a shotgun at 100 yards. He just seems fine taking shots that are out of HIS capability. He's gut shot deer and never found them.. and talks about it like its no big deal. I've never had a bad shot, thank God. But, I do know accidents happen... his just don't seem to be accidents to me. Just taking piss poor shots and being ok with it.
I have a buddy just like this, just happy to shoot, couldn't careless about results...but we have stayed on his butt about it and he has gotten better.
Bodupp and gastonfish like this.
jcoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Brandon_SPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
Yea, I didn't mean to get on here with a stuffy attitude and suggest that if you have ever gut shot deer or taken a bad shot that you're a bad hunter or bad person. As i said i realize accidents happen sometimes, its just with him it seems to be a much more common theme than anything else. What bothers me most about his actions is not that he has taken bad shots but speaks of them with no indication of that being an unwanted thing. If i had taken a gut shot or for some damn reason blown a leg off a deer i sure as hell wouldn't take it lightly. And no, i've never gut shot an animal or had any bad hits. I'm thankful for that and realize that I've been very lucky. I've hunted primarily with Bow sense i was 14 years old and have been out all but a few years. I'm 34 now. In those years of hunting I've walked away from many seasons with no kill because I wouldn't take shots that had a high risk of just wounding the animal.
I understand your point now. Then I would ask him what the heck is his problem? Accidents happen but if he just doesn't care then honestly I as a person wouldn't associate with someone like that but that is my opinion or like what was said above stay on his butt about it. I never took those shots lightly either I just got to dang nervous.
__________________
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson
Brandon_SPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pcola
Posts: 420
Default

Njydvr there are alot of lead slingers out there.Sometimes you dont even have to look to far. The "I woulda had to take a shot anyway guys" Even though they have never prepared themselves in any way for the long distance shot or whatever the case maybe.
I had a friend that was much like this.Its a short story that I will never forget because I feel as though if he acted this way{Mr. Big Deer Hunter} the way he talked himself up to be; I think of how many others might and do act the same.
The short story goes:
I heard him shoot and after awhile we ended up meeting up. I asked if it was him that shot and he said yes.I said well what did you see? He said it was a deer and all he knew was that it looked big.Well what does that mean?He states he saw a deer leg through the trees on top of a hill and could not tell which way it was facing so he guessed and took the shot. His next statement said alot to me and was the last time I ever went in the woods with him. He said well I guess i must have guessed the wrong end to shoot at!
Why the hell are you guessing! Safety Second?
Tail Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Njydvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eglin Area
Posts: 174
Default

I heard him shoot and after awhile we ended up meeting up. I asked if it was him that shot and he said yes.I said well what did you see? He said it was a deer and all he knew was that it looked big.Well what does that mean?He states he saw a deer leg through the trees on top of a hill and could not tell which way it was facing so he guessed and took the shot. His next statement said alot to me and was the last time I ever went in the woods with him. He said well I guess i must have guessed the wrong end to shoot at!
Why the hell are you guessing! Safety Second?[/QUOTE]

Crazy man... Not only is that how animals get mutilated, but people get shot. Absolutely crazy.

Y'all heard of Temple Grandin before? There is a movie about her titled with her name. Anyway, my feelings towards hunting is summarized by one of her famous quotes: "Nature is cruel, we don't have to be".

Last edited by Njydvr; 11-26-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #18
Tall Sexy Guy
Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cantonment, Fl
Posts: 588
Default

Confession: If a monster, such as this buck, was 100 yards in front of me and I had a shotgun in my hand....I'm sending a spread of lead his way. Then I'm proudly posting pictures of him on this forum for everyone to critique my actions while I am cooking up some delicious backstrap and planning where on the wall his mount will be displayed. Just sayin'
John B. likes this.
scootman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pcola
Posts: 420
Default

If you have sighted in your gun at 100 yards or know the capabilities of your gun that may be ok.It sounds like this guy may not do this from the way it sounds.I sight mine in for 150 yards so I too would try.
However if you do not .this is more likely the scenario.
The big buck wanders off wounded and is never recovered by anyone. A waste of a chance to get a clean kill another day.It dies a slow agonizing inhumane death and your wall is still empty and nothing on the plate.Hey I guess feeding yotes is ok though.
Circle of life.
I think his point is know your limitations and try to be ethical.
Tail Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.