Ladder stand on public land - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ladder stand on public land

what's the protocol if you find a stand on land your scouting? It looks like it may have been there a while (but maybe not) I've scouted this really out of the way area and was surprised to find a stand already in there. Would it be a dick move if I was able to get in there first and set up and they came walking in later? based on all the sign I'd be looking at setting up 100 yards or so from that stand to be where I think I'd need to. Is it standard for people to leave stands in BW to try and claim an area like that?
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
Sailfish

You can put a stand right next to his. It is public land, but there are people who think they own the section. Some guy came on here last year and ranted about someone moving in on him. I personally don't bother other peoples stuff. If a truck is parked close to where I wanted to go I drive to my next choice until I find a spot open.
Walton County likes this.
billyb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

It's considered Abandoned Property. There was one in BW some time ago, and I never saw anyone in it or signs anyone was using it for 2 yrs. It was on a path to where I hunted further down, about 1k yards.

I was running late 1-day, no-way for me to get to my stand before daybreak, so I said what the hell, climbed up that stand and shot 2 bucks 25 minutes apart.

I'd go ahead and find a good spot where you've been looking at, and pay no attention to the ladder stand. But I wouldn't crowd someone if they were in there before you. I'd go somewhere else.

Like billyb said, some people get upset about "their spot". Just ain't worth getting shot over.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
I'VE never caught a
Sailfish

For what its worth, i wouldn't put up a nice ladder stand on public land they have a habit of going missing. Best thing is to get you a light climber and hike it in and out with you. Also, just don't be the guy that walks in on a spot that someone is already parked at, have plenty of backup spots.
fla_scout, Donut slayer and Sc1006 like this.
Hound_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #5
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

If you see someone parked in an area you wanna hunt, have a plan B and C... Don't be "that guy" that screws up a hunt fer someone else. A personal stand on public land is a risk some folks take, but it by no means makes it "their spot"...

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Sounds like it may be a crapshoot as to whether some guy gets pissed if I get in there first. I definitely wouldn't head in there if I saw a truck parked, and I have a climber so I'm mobile, and I have some back up trees marked in the area.

Now that I'm looking at OnX maps more I may want to set up on the other side of the forest road and a half mile down from him anyway. I was just curious if people find a lot of permanent stands left in BW, and if people try to get all bent out of shape about "their spot" very often.

On another note, looking at OnX maps with the private property lines it looks like the private property actually encompasses the first part of the named dirt road that goes back to the public land on BW. If it's a named road that accesses the state forest am I allowed to use it to get back to the public land? It is definitely state maintained.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Sailfish

As far as I'm concerned there are three rules that would apply -
1 - Don't sit in anyone else's stand
2 - It is public land, nobody owns any spot
3 - Be courteous if someone beats you in for the morning/afternoon sit
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Yes, I see them all the time myself. I've left them out for years before someone decided they needed them more than I did.

I've seen knock-down drag outs, heard death threats, loaded guns pointed at another, vehicles damaged, etc over "this is my spot" syndrome on both Eglin and Blackwater. Some act like they're on PCP or something, 10' tall and bulletproof.

As far as the road, if it is in fact a State or County maintained road, then yes, you can use it to access BKWTR. Damn for sure you Know for a Fact IF it's Private Property easement or not, because Trespass with a firearm in Fl is a Felony.

Last edited by CurDog; 09-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
Sailfish

Well, if it's in there right now it's there illegally so.........
Hunting equipment may not be taken onto the WMA until after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed by 6 p.m. 1 day after the end of the season.
Washington is playing their ignorant and ill-informed constituency like an organ grinder plays his monkey. The monkey shuts up and does what he's told, as long as he gets his banana. There is no difference in Washington. They squander the blood sweat and tears of the hard working, tax paying Americans and lie to them when they're caught. Needing their ever-increasing supply of bananas, the trained monkeys will continue to dance for their bananas.
bigbulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
DROP TINE BUCK
Blue Marlin

I hunt public land exclusively, I also leave out half a dozen ladders for my wife to hunt from and I occasionally leave a climber deep in the woods. I don’t “claim” the area, if I see a truck in the area, I go somewhere else. I don’t care if someone uses my stands,just don’t move em or steal em, I left Em on public ground sooooo I can’t really bitch about it. I’ve also hunted from ones that I have found...... back to my way of thinking, if they seen my truck close to where their ladder was set up, they should have gone elsewhere... if you gonna Hunt public, you have got to have a backup spot, or 2 or 3!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in