Hunting Ethics - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree25Likes

Old 12-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.
Default Hunting Ethics

In 2 of the past 3 threads I have started on this forum I there have been the question of Ethics brought up. The first was my harvest of two Does in one shot and the second was based on interest of hunting Deer with High Powered large bore Air Rifles. Where as both were brought up by the same member, it did make me look back at things I've done and still do in comparison to what brought up Ethics here.

I have been to Crow Call Hunts that were incredible as it pertains to Wing Shooting Crows called in on both Mouth calls and recorded calls on a speaker. If you have never done this it is absolutely something to behold. I have literally witnessed the sky turn Black with Crows and 10 guys shooting so fast they couldn't reload fast enough for brief minutes many many times. As Ethics...We killed Crows solely for the sport of shooting them and I have enjoyed it many times both in the sporting view and the Social perspective of the event, but I have never picked one up with the intent of processing it in any way nor have I ever hunted Crows with anyone else that did. Crows are very smart by the way.

I have been several times to Ranches in the West during the Summer and Shot Prairie Dogs. Much the same as Crow Hunting as it pertains to shooting an animal completely for the Sport of shooting an Animal with no intent of harvesting it for any other reason than killing it. Now the landowners I have shot with and on their property have a level of appreciation for the Killing of Prairie Dogs so there is a value in removing them as a pest. Regardless I have shot a bunch of them and enjoyed the shooting even moreso the long range shooting but never have picked a dead one up in order to do anything else with it.

My Grandfather has a large farm and each fall when the Starlings migrate through they appear in large droves and eat a large amount of rye grass seed after it's been spread. I can't count the number of Starlings that I have shot for no other reason that to kill them... While I enjoyed and enjoy the shooting I have done it for no other reason than to shoot and kill them. Rats in and around the Barn the same way.

I have shot many Ferrell Hogs over the past 10 years with no intent of recovering them for myself. Although I have recovered some of them for other people that went on to use the meat for consumption, but most I have shot solely to Kill them although I enjoyed the shooting of them.

I have also shot many Coyotes with no intent of recovering them for any reason and shot them solely to Kill them.....and I will not say I didn't enjoy the shot.

There seems to be a much much higher regard for some game animals such as Whitetail Deer over others such as the above mentioned.

Several years ago I hunted on a friends horse ranch in Central Alabama. I took a really good Buck the first evening I hunted. He asked me to sit with him the next evening. We sat in the loft of a barn and sat a couple Hey Bales in the doorway overlooking a very large horse pasture. He possessed a Depredation Permit due to the over populated Whitetail Deer herd on his property. I shot every Round I brought with me and confirmed a kill on each and every one. While he had an appreciation for it, it wasn't a lot different than the above mentioned hunts for me.

There is an aspect of shooting an animal that is part of hunting and while not all animals are shot for a form of game that also provides food ... the shooting of them is not regarded as Un-Ethical as it would be involving Whitetail Deer or other game animals that we Humans hold in a Higher Regard.....

What's your take on Hunting Ethics as it pertains to the enjoyment of Shooting?
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Mingo

Ethics is obviously a very personal and subjective issue.

For me its primarily an issue of respect. Respect for life and specifically the life of whatever you are talking about shooting.

Kill humanely and make the most of the animal.

I do believe its the responsibility of the shooter to make use of as much of the animal they kill to the best of their ability, however I do understand there are cases of pest control where the need for population control outweigh the demand for their use dead. You listed good examples... various birds, prairie dogs, and feral cats.

I'm not sure if i answered your question or not though... IRT "Ethics as it pertains to the enjoyment of shooting", I would apply the above comments I've made. I do not think it "ethical" to take the life of any animal for merely "fun". I have targets for that.
Skeeterdone likes this.

Last edited by Njydvr; 12-07-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Grand Slam

I think you answered your own question. If it's legal and your moral compass stays steady, do it. I've done all the above (especially crows and coyotes) and will continue to enjoy those sports. Of course you can justify any of those kills as necessary or desirable. Crows kill a large amount of baby song birds, doves, etc as eggs or hatch lings. I love to puff them and hear the "thump" when they touch down for the last time.
Garbo and WACKEM&STACKEM! like this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
White Marlin

not sure it is higher regard of the animal as a use for the animal shot. If the purpose is to get rid of a pest and the "body/hide" has no use- fine. If it is an animal/hide that can be used , then if you kill it then you should try to use it. I am assuming that the deer you shot were either retrieved and given to food bank or the rancher used them. If not then ????
As far as just shooting things, there are trap shoots and targets that work
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
I think you answered your own question. If it's legal and your moral compass stays steady, do it. I've done all the above (especially crows and coyotes) and will continue to enjoy those sports. Of course you can justify any of those kills as necessary or desirable. Crows kill a large amount of baby song birds, doves, etc as eggs or hatch lings. I love to puff them and hear the "thump" when they touch down for the last time.
HJorgan, Crow Hunting is one of Son's favorites. At risk of sounding Un-Ethical..... If you wing one and it goes to Hollering....It adds to the calling in a big way. I get a kick out of watching someone that has never been on a Crow Call before when they see it for the first time.

Back to my original post.... I don't have an issue with my enjoyment of hunting at all...but I have been questioned on here of late more than once as to my Ethics in hunting.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Sailfish

In reference to your examples above, I see nothing unethical. I say if you are OK with it, it is legal and something you enjoy it is fine. I draw the line with intentionally making animals suffer, that is a deal killer for me.
MaxxT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
not sure it is higher regard of the animal as a use for the animal shot. If the purpose is to get rid of a pest and the "body/hide" has no use- fine. If it is an animal/hide that can be used , then if you kill it then you should try to use it. I am assuming that the deer you shot were either retrieved and given to food bank or the rancher used them. If not then ????
As far as just shooting things, there are trap shoots and targets that work

Part of the rules of using a Depredation Permit is not to recover the animal. As I understand it...It would be not Legal to retrieve them.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Default Depredation hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I am assuming that the deer you shot were either retrieved and given to food bank or the rancher used them.
Unfortunately on the depredation shoots I've attended the deer have to lay where they fall (or drug into the wood line). And a Game Warden was in attendance doing a survey and count as we shot. We asked about donating but that's apparently illegal??? This was spot light hunting, and the number of deer we saw was astounding.

I really didn't enjoy this experience and probably won't go on one again. Was helping out a farmer friend, but having so much meat go to waste seemed bizarre to me.
Bodupp likes this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbo View Post
Part of the rules of using a Depredation Permit is not to recover the animal. As I understand it...It would be not Legal to retrieve them.
That is not true at all. Says it pretty clear on the FWC: Deer taken under this permit may be removed and possessed off the permitted property provided the deer is tagged with a valid depredating deer tag issued by the Commission. (might be different in alabama.. don't know).

So, to clarify... You shot multiple deer and let them rot? As I said in my prior post, ethics is personal and if that is the case, by my definition it is certainly not ethical at all.
Skeeterdone likes this.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
That is not true at all. Says it pretty clear on the FWC: Deer taken under this permit may be removed and possessed off the permitted property provided the deer is tagged with a valid depredating deer tag issued by the Commission.

So, to clarify... You shot multiple deer and let them rot? As I said in my prior post, ethics is personal and if that is the case, by my definition it is certainly not ethical at all.
If you read the OP, he was in Alabama.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in