Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

ears are taking over

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  delta dooler 
#1 ·
I was in a club last year on YR and the bears destroyed every feeder I put up. Talked to a guy at Walmart on Sunday buying game cameras. He has 640 acres on WB Road and knows for sure he has at least 9 bears. He said they tear up his feeders so he is forced to pour corn on the ground. He said that if they spot a camera they will tear it off the tree and destroy it. Said FWC won't do nothing. I hunt in the area on YRMA and am worried about walking up on a mother and her cub before daylight. Anyone else have problems with bears. I thought hogs were destructive, but bears have got them beat.

#3 ·
Bears are taking over

Turn off 90W onto Wilkerson Bluff Road. Go about 4 miles and turn left on a clay road which goes to Dude Adam's Fish Camp. The club I was in started there and went up river to Ginhole then up Little Yellow to Huckleberry Island, which is almost to the I10 bridge. The guy I talked to has land on down around the curve and towards Holt on WB. Real close to the MA up that way. I have only seen a few cross the road on the MA off Old River Road, but I am sure they are more there.

#5 ·
We use to lease 1200 acres north of panama city that was part of 100,000 acres of timber land managed by Westervelt. The place was overrun with bears, trying to sneak in or out of a stand in the dark was always concerning. We were able to figure out how to keep the bears from destroying our feeders but the bottom line was that the deer and bears would not coexist in the same area, when the bears were there the deer were not. And like MaxxT posted, the FWC was also releasing trapped bears out there.

#6 ·
Unfortunately it will just keep getting worse but theres ways to bear proof stuff it's just a pain in the ass to do it.

And Florida has one of the worse predator management plans out there. They will bitch and moan about deer population but do crap like not allow the bear and cougar hunts and only allowing coyotes to be hunting on public land during small game and deer season. Florida is a joke in my opinion.

#7 ·
I've been in the same club (1500 acres) in the munson area for the past 18 years. In the past 5 years we have pretty much quit using feeders. I'm not sure on how many bears we have but I have pictures of 4 different ones this year including a mom and cub. If we put any feeders out they are torn to pieces within a few days.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.