Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.

Before I post this yes I know elk have been shot with many different broadheads and have died. I just like tinkering with stuff and trying to figure out what might be the best overall on a wide variety of situations.

This last week I have tested four broadheads on cow femurs. This is for my upcoming elk hunt and I wanted to see how my set up would do on hard impacts to bone and a cow femur was the closest thing I could buy that has any relation to an elk humerus. The broadheads I tested were RMS Cutthroat 200 grain, Grizzlystik Samurai 200 grain, Ironwill 125 grain, Zeus 100 grain. The only reason I tested a Zeus was because of the false claims they make on marketing so I figured why not blow these claims out of the water.

On the Zeus it has been a NO GO but I will be testing some 125s because the founder of this head has advised me he has had different results on the 125s. I donít see how considering the 125 grain is the same aluminum ferrule but with a heavier point and none of the 100 grains have held up to a serious impact. I have shot three into bone and all were failures with two being glancing shots and one was a full frontal impact. The Zeus Broadhead never survived the frontal impact and one of the glancing shots but somehow managed to break a bone. I'm thinking this was from sheer force of the arrow hitting the same bone three times.

Next was the RMS Cutthroats which completely amazed me. I used the same broadhead on two femurs and it went through both femurs with very little damage to the broadhead. One femur blew apart and on one impact did create a hole big enough to allow the arrow shaft to pass with very little resistance. Whatever process RMS has for steel hardness and the type of steel they use is clearly figured out.

The Ironwill did not penetrate the bone but this could be due to the fact that I was shooting such a light weight arrow (500 grains) and a very low FOC percentage. But the head did bend at the threads and before I could call Ironwill the company reached out to me on Facebook letting me know they would replace it.

The Grizzlystik Samurai blew the cow femur apart just like a single bevel should but suffered some edge chatter and a bent tip. As we can see in the picture the broadhead can't be used again. It still did its job of blowing bone apart and probably could still put an animal down if it made it in the lungs.

Specs on the bow:
- Elite Energy 32 build
- 30" draw
- 75lbs
- 625 grain arrow leaving the bow around 260-265 fps and the 500 grain leaving around 290-300 fps.

Picture 1-3 are the Zeus, 4-5 are the cutthroat, 6 Ironwill, 7 the Girzzlystik samurai, picture 8 is the Cutthroat, Ironwill, and Grizzlystik Samurai side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh4-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh5-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh6-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh7-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh9-png  

Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh2-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh3-png   Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh1-png  
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Your awesome! Your wayyyy overthinking it but I can see your enjoying yourself. Dude, you bought a cow femur?? - the world needs people like you - somewhere, Iím pretty sure
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try'n Hard View Post
Your awesome! Your wayyyy overthinking it but I can see your enjoying yourself. Dude, you bought a cow femur?? - the world needs people like you - somewhere, Iím pretty sure
I know I am overthinking it lol But I was at the butcher shop buying the dogs some femurs so I figured why not.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
Snapper

Very interesting.

Do you ever listed to Podcasts? There is a couple very interesting podcasts that get into this in crazy detail. Hunt Back Country is one of them but I cannot recall the episode number.
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
Walton County is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Brandon, go check out tooth of the arrow broadheads. For a while they would send you a free broadhead to test of you paid the shipping

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Rage
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Awesome way to review, and with photos...If I change the heads I shoot, I know one more to not buy.
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
Chumbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
Snapper

You should have done a video! Cool testing
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
capt.joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton County View Post
Very interesting.

Do you ever listed to Podcasts? There is a couple very interesting podcasts that get into this in crazy detail. Hunt Back Country is one of them but I cannot recall the episode number.
Yeah I listen to a few podcast at work like Griddy Bowman, Aron Snyder, Lethal Podcast, also watch a lot of Born and Raised Videos. There is a wealth of knowledge that these individuals give out that is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.joe View Post
You should have done a video! Cool testing
I actually have three more in the 125s coming in because I was advised by people who shoot these that I need so compare the 125s. Apparently this was not a fair test even though this company makes claims of beating every broadhead in penetration and longevity. So when I do the 125s I will actually do a full video review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettheairout View Post
Brandon, go check out tooth of the arrow broadheads. For a while they would send you a free broadhead to test of you paid the shipping

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Speaking of those I have someone sending me some 125s to test but really would like to try the 175s because they are a complete solid broadhead. Which should do a lot better than the 125 on bone.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Grouper

Also something else I want to test is the TuffHead MeatHead with an ethics archery glue on adapter with a footer. It's double footed on the outside and of course a long internal footer on the inside. I have used their regular outsert system with huge success vs just a regular insert.
Attached Thumbnails
Broadhead testing for the upcoming elk hunt.-bh10-png  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in