Back from Kansas - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Back from Kansas

Got back from Kansas last Sunday. Let me say it was definetely a new experience for me. Never hunted anywhere but here in the south--Miss., Ala, Fla. I will also say first that I will never go back without a frickin range finder. Being a landscaper forthe last 17 years I felt like I was pretty good at judging distance, but I was dead wrong. The week started out nasty as a strong front came through when we got there and had snow and 40 to 50 mph. wind blowing. Did see one deer the first day. The second day, seen four or five deer, all does. I was hunting in the woods the first couple of days, then decided to try some big corn and bean fields. That's when I really started to see the deer. Got to the spot an hour before daylight and kind of just stood around until I could see a little, and then found a spot, yeah just sat down in some corn stalks that were left standing on an edge of a cut corn field. Was there for about an hour thinking where in the hell do these deer come from, and then out of nowhere a deer. Put the binocs on it and looked like a doe at about 600 yards out. As the deer came at an angle towards me, I glassed it again, and said to myself that joker's got horns. Put the scope on him and literally said to myself "oh my god", looked to be about an 8 to 10 point that was just an absolute stud of a buck. The damn thing was huge, body and headgear. Put the rifle on my shooting stick and guessed it at about 250 to 275 yards, made the adjustment, and fired. All I seen was a big puff of dirt fly up and through the dirt mist seen my trophy jump and run into the woodline to dissappear. Needless to say, I was absolutely sick to my stomach, I just drove 14 hours to come out here and miss a dream buck. Did not see anything but doe the rest of the day. The next morning we decided to hunt till about 9 am and get back to the hotel and pack up and leave to head home. The three of us headed to another field that some other people had told us about that was huge. They said all three of us could cover this field. We got there and that was not the case, unless we were trying to kill each other. So I let the other two guys hunt the two corners and I dediced to go and hunt the woodline where we came in off of the road. After about a 30 min. I had two does come within about 15 steps of me sitting in a chair. Then about 45 minutes later, I caught movement on a river bank back in the woods, it was a buck. Settled in put the scope on him and made a interesting shot through the brush, and nailed him. Went about 20 yards and hit the dirt. Ended up being about a 215 to 220lb. 7 pt. Definetely no where near the caliber of deer I missed the morning before, but it was my first Kansas whitetail buck and I was satisfied. Had a great time with five of my friends, and I am ready to go back next year. I definetely learned a lot about hunting up there,and hope to haveeven a better time next year. I'll post pics later when I get them downloaded. Good luck to everyone this season.
TUBBLAWNS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Back from Kansas

"I will also say first that I will never go back without a frickin range finder." As soon as I read this I laughed. Been through Kansas, and the deer you saw/shot at probably was in the next county.oke...Never have I been anywhere that was as flat, absence of water, and when we were there HOT. Even the cows seek shade by using the shade of the cow next to it.

For the kill.....clap

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Grouper

Congratulations on the buck.

How hard was it to get drawn for tags? I have see a couple monsters while pheasant hunting around Cawker City. Where in KS were you?
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to David Ridenour Send a message via Yahoo to David Ridenour

Congratulations on your first Kansas buck. I hope to try it one day. I'll use your tip and be ready with a rangefinder for sure.
David Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
jigslinger (12/12/2008)Congratulations on the buck.

How hard was it to get drawn for tags? I have see a couple monsters while pheasant hunting around Cawker City. Where in KS were you?
Just applied for a group tag and we got drawn, and we were in Neosho county, and Elk county mainly.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Grouper

Tags this year were easy... every body I know that pit in for one got one. The state changed the the law that allowed the land owner to sell, give them tags to nonres. hunters. They can't do that any more so the state changed the number of nonres. tags they issue.
saltgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Mingo

I figureI would post some pics of tubblawns Kansas deer after I got done with it.

outdoorsalways is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Trigger

Thanks Todd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in