wet suit question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Trigger

Default wet suit question.

I am currently looking into building up scuba equipment so that i can get my certification and do some diving. I have found a store with alot of suits from surf shop at killer prices and would like to know how to actually size a suit for myself. I stand 5'8" and wear size 38 pants and 1x-2x shirts depending on the company.
Thanks
Chris
Chris Gatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
White Marlin

I'm assuming 'on line' otherwise you could just try them on? Why don't you go into a shop and try some on to see what fits or get their professional input.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gatorfan View Post
I am currently looking into building up scuba equipment so that i can get my certification and do some diving. I have found a store with alot of suits from surf shop at killer prices and would like to know how to actually size a suit for myself. I stand 5'8" and wear size 38 pants and 1x-2x shirts depending on the company.
Thanks
Chris
You shouldn't need anything but mask,fins and snorkel to get a certification, the shop will provide the remaining gear needed.
Go to a local shop and try on the wet suits they have in stock, lots of sales this time of year.
Try Dive Pros, MBT and Scuba Shack all located in Pensacola.
Native Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
LADYFISH
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gatorfan View Post
Thanks
Chris
I would guess XL but if you look online there are height weight charts for pretty much any brand out there. I dont scuba dive but have gotten some excellent deals on like new suits for snorkling on ebay once i looked at some size charts and got a good idea of what i needed.
CreekLifeFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Good advise go get mask, fins and snorkel and everything else will be supplied with the lessons. Dive pros has a heated pool so you can try the above essentials before you purchase them. Then if you decide not to continue after or during the lessons you don't drop a load of money for nothing.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandleslim View Post
I'm assuming 'on line' otherwise you could just try them on? Why don't you go into a shop and try some on to see what fits or get their professional input.
All good advice above. That being said, personally want to know who last peed in my wetsuit regardless of how well the dive shop cleans and sanitizes it before doling it out.

Some alternatives to think on; a thin shorty or farmer john to wear under the dive shop provided suit.
scuba.com and leisure pro both have closeout and end of year specials once you know size and manufacture preferences, just have to watch the sales . They are also a good guide for comparison shopping.

Just make sure it's something you really want to do before dumping loads of cash on equipment.
redlegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlegs View Post
...personally want to know who last peed in my wetsuit regardless of how well the dive shop cleans and sanitizes it before doling it out.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlegs View Post
Just make sure it's something you really want to do before dumping loads of cash on equipment.
Agreed.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Grand Slam

I would like to know what you can catch from a flushed out dryed peed in wet suit? Wait a minute I'll tell you, nothing. My first tour on a diving ship in New London Conn. had nothing but community wet suits for 25 divers and all of us would wait till we got in the 30 degree water to pee. Then guess who was in charge of maintaining them. Phew the air flats smelled like the urinals while they were drying. Go use the dive shops stuff until you are sure you want to purchase yours. Plus you will have a much better idea on what kind of gear suits you best...
Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
if you decide not to continue after or during the lessons you don't drop a load of money for nothing.
Some people cannot dive, they just can't equalize or have some other diving disability for the lack of better words. I would hate to drop a bunch of coin for gear that I can't use. My wife and I got certified at DivePros, I was worried that I was going to be one of the guys that couldn't dive, I guess just because I want to dive so bad. Our instructor told us that if we could equalize on the bottom of the pool(12or14ft) and not feel any pressure that we wouldn't have a problem in the open water. Once we were on the bottom with no issues we wrote a blank check and had our own brand new gear for our last dive of the class.

You'll be fine with a used wetsuit, but just keep saving for gear and wait until class to be sure you know what you need and what you are getting.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
eating tasty
White Marlin

Wet suits designed for surfing as opposed to diving are a better choice. Much more flexible, and durable in my opinion, and can be used for diving as well as surfing or other water sports. I've had great luck with Ripcurl suits. Don't get the cheapest wetsuit either, there is a big difference in neoprene quality and the thing that keeps you warm is not the thing to skimp on.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in