Van Staal vs. Zeebaas - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Van Staal vs. Zeebaas

I have owned both reels and would have to say that the Zeebaas is the finest Spinning reel i have ever used, with being able to apply 35 pds of drag against the VSwhich maybe only able to supply maybe 20pds you can really put the heat on the bigger fish. As far as Maint. the VS you have to send back since it is a sealed case and in about 6 months you "might" recieve it back and it "might" not be in as good as condition you sent it in at...(my brother sent his in and it took 1 year to get it back and they said they couldnt fix it, plus the reel casing was scared up from them putting it in a vice.) The Zeebaas you can service yourself in about 5 minutes and it still keep its lifetime warranty. Price difference between thetwo i believe is about $250 but if you think about it, its really worth it...by the time your VS is 2 years old you will have more than $1000 in it after sending it off to get service so it retains its lifetime warranty. The other kick ass thing is that with the Zeebaas you really have 2 reels in 1 if your purchase a spare spool of a different diameter, the 25&27 use the same rotor and the 20&22 use the same rotor so it has the ability to handle a wide variety of fish in about the 5 seconds it takes to swap the spools out! The best part Zeebaas is that if you call them you acutally talk to the guy that built the reel, they are a small business and you get great customer service with the reel, as for VS i have owned them for 10 years and i can say that their customer service inmy brother andIcases they have been horrible. I hope that helps anyone with any ideas of purchasing either one of these two reels!!!
Pair-a-Dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Van Staal vs. Zeebaas

can anyone around get them? or do you have to order? i would love to see one...I've seen them in magazines but thats it ...I need a new reel for Cobia season...
rigrunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Mingo

as far as i know you have to order one, i have yet to see one in a tackle store...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Sailfish

One ot my buddies got a Zeebass last year and I was very unimpressed with it
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Sailfish

i've got a closet full of VS of all different sizes and i've had some ofthem for a lot of years. never had to send one back and never had an issue. i see people posting on here about sending them back, what goes wrong with them and what am i to expect sooner or later?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Sailfish

They send them back because in order to maintain the warranty it must be serviced by VS once a year..
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Trigger

once you tool for production, its tough for a small business to change all the machining. the original van was a fantastic reel. still is, pretty much. but, by turning over to zebco, richard was allowed to use the liquidity to develop the ideas he developed while producing the original reel. those ideas came to fruition with the zeebaas. by not being tied to the original product, he could let those innovations flow into the new reel. sometimes its great to turn over your product line toa larger parent. zebco has the means to reduce costs of the reel by using their leverage to reduce material costs, and marketing under their established program. and it allows the 'inventor' to go on to develop his next idea.

i love the zeebaas. i'd have a quiver of 'em if i had the means. and the greatest selling feature--other than the obvious quality, is the user servicability. that rocks.

cheers.

drew
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Sailfish

I didn't have trouble with the van staal service. The case came loose on my reel, which gave me an incentive to send it in for yearly maintenance anyway. I got it back in about three weeks with no problems.
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Mingo

i agree, the only VS that i had that was worth a damn was the original although i paid about $150 less for it brand new than the reels sell for now. we had 1 sent back to us in pieces and damaged the casing greatlysaying they couldnt fix it, after having it a full year, i took it back to my service department and had an automtive techincian break the shaft free (it was lock up was the only issue). We then sent it back to VS and they replaced part of the casing and the internal components which was good of them but now the casing is 2 diffrent gold colors and we were just very unimpressed with the customer service.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Freespool (2/17/2009)One ot my buddies got a Zeebass last year and I was very unimpressed with it
what made you unimpressed with the Zeebaas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in